New safe

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Bmup

New safe

Post by Bmup »

Bought a new Ft. Knox safe as a birthday present to myself from myselft & Mrs. Bmup. I picked it out, picked all the options & she got to pick out the exterior color so it will match our walk in closet motifery. I also got to remove the closet door & frame & cut out the opening by 2 inches so they could get it in there, which they did last month before the Chinese corona craze began. It just barely fit with minimal drywall damage which I have fixed.

Since this is my 1st safe my question is about humidity. It lives in an air conditioned house in an air conditioned closet where the ambient humidity is 55% on avg. do I really need the dehumidifier stick that came with the safe or is 55% about right?
Also, is it normal to want to open the damn thing up & gaze in wonder every time I'm near the closet where it lives? :D
"Biden/Fetterman 2024 - It's a No Brainer!"

"No society ever thrived because it had a large group of parasites living off those who produce." - Dr. Thomas Sowell
Casual

Post by Casual »

Get the golden rod from C&E safes. Mines been running non stop for almost 15 years, in safe lighting is a must too if you dont have that
Chinerd00

Post by Chinerd00 »

Grats on new safe! I always use a dehumidifier and would recommend you do the same it's not just for your guns it's for any metals that you keep in there.
photohause

Post by photohause »

"Get the golden rod from C&E safes. Mines been running non stop for almost 15 years"

I can say the same thing
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Lockdown Dehumidifier Rod, 12 and EVA-Dry Dehumidifier both work well.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Pissed Off Patriot

Post by Pissed Off Patriot »

A good safe is something I'm going to need when I find a house down here in the next couple months. I've been looking at houses for a while, and notice a few of them have safes. Hoping someone leaves me a safe with a house. lol
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Really depends upon how often you clean or at least wipe down your guns.

But a golden rod is really cheap insurance. Might also want to toss in a small box of desiccants.

And yes, for the inaugural year, it is normal to want to open the safe and gaze upon the glory.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

No dehumid in any of mine but they are opened every day
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

OP lives much closer to the coast and much further south than rentprop1 does.

Get a Golden Rod.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Bmup

Post by Bmup »

Thanks everyone. I bought the safe from C&E & it came with a "Gun Saver" rod so I'll just use that & if it fails I'll get a Goldenrod to replace it.

BTW, I highly recommend C&E Safes. Curt & Liz (& a whole herd of killer attack cats that live there) are awesome. Installation was painless & it shipped in an unmarked cardboard box so all my nosy neighbors would just assume I got a new fridge.
"Biden/Fetterman 2024 - It's a No Brainer!"

"No society ever thrived because it had a large group of parasites living off those who produce." - Dr. Thomas Sowell