Gun Safe in garage for ammo near Gulf

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
neverenoughguns

Gun Safe in garage for ammo near Gulf

Post by neverenoughguns »

I am going to start storing ammo, powder, etc. in the garage. The thinking is that it would be more accessible to firefighters and/or further away from inhabitants. Any suggestions or concerns I should have? Thinking about installing a dehumidifier bar.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

USTRITE® FLAMMABLE STORAGE CABINETS
Manual-Close Double - 45 Gal. Capacity - 2-Shelf
Justrite® flammable safety cabinets comply with the National Fire Protection Association Flammable Combustible Liquid Code #30 and OSHA standard 1910.106 for flammable storage of 1, 2 and 3 liquids. FM approved. Double walled 18-gauge all-welded steel with 1 1/2" insulating air space helps keep temperatures down. This safety storage cabinet includes a built in grounding connector. The dual 2" vents of this flammable cabinet can connect to an exhaust system. Safety cabinet has a 2"D leak proof doorsill to contain spills. The 350 lb galvanized steel shelves of this flammable liquid cabinet adjusts at 3" increments and features a SpillSlope design that direct spills to back and bottom of safety cabinet. Doors have full length piano hinges. Justrite® Flammable Cabinet has a recessed paddle handle with cylinder lock and padlockable latch for security. Stainless steel 3-point self-latching system provides positive door locking. Adjustable leveling feet for uneven floors. Durable powder coat finish with Haz-Alert trilingual reflective warning label provides high visibility. 10 Year Limited Warranty.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/stor ... L8EALw_wcB
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

I wouldn't worry too much about fire-fighters, I'd worry about my home insurance carrier.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
neverenoughguns

Should have been more clear in my initial post. I have an extra safe. The safe is fire rated which I know is based on a lot of variables.
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

I had a Liberty Safe weighed 550 lbs in the garage for many years and yes you definitely want a dehumidifier, and if you can put it on a solid wood platform just to get it up off the damp cement. Drape a sheet over it or put it in a inconspicuous corner so not seen every time the door is opened. Not sure if this point is necessary but label it “live ammo inside”...for fire fighters. Mav
neverenoughguns

mavrik wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:06 am I had a Liberty Safe weighed 550 lbs in the garage for many years and yes you definitely want a dehumidifier, and if you can put it on a solid wood platform just to get it up off the damp cement. Drape a sheet over it or put it in a inconspicuous corner so not seen every time the door is opened. Not sure if this point is necessary but label it “live ammo inside”...for fire fighters. Mav
Dehumidifier bar or and actual dehumidifier?
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

Bar, but dint have powder so dehumidifier might b best 😬
Last edited by mavrik on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Instead of wood underneath use some of those plastic boards one can find at HD or lowes.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

I guess it depends exactly how far you are away for the beach front itself.

I know people that live right on the beach and EVERYTHING rusts that is steel. Tools, tool boxes, garage door hardware, light fixtures, appliances, cars in garages! Even stuff that is indoor with indoor dehumidifiers or AC running! If you are close, the salt permeates and even stainless steel rusts anything on the interior! I kid you not. Even one I know that is across the street from the beach has these issues.

I guess if you are f few miles from the beach front you might be better off.

But as I always tell my family members who insist of putting their safes in garages, the hood rats WILL find a way to dump it in a truck backed right into your garage no matter how heavy it is or how well you have it bolted down. It might just take them a few minutes longer.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Iosef

Post by Iosef »

Go to your local auto parts store and get some "Liquid Glass." It kept my motorcycles rust free on waterfronts for two decades.