If Open carry Became Legal Tomorrow...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
TC6969

If Open carry Became Legal Tomorrow...

Post by TC6969 »

I know the "HEY! EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME!" crowd would be all over it, but how many of you would actually strap one on and go out in public?
TheSurvivalist

Post by TheSurvivalist »

I prefer the element of surprise on my side.

Not saying I wouldn't ever do it, but 99.9% of the time, I would carry concealed.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

TC6969 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:07 am I know the "HEY! EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME!" crowd would be all over it, but how many of you would actually strap one on and go out in public?
I would not... for both the "element of surprise" factor as well as the SWATing factor. Until there is a cultural change, and people start getting used to people carrying openly without a badge next to it, some snowflakes will still freak and want to SWAT the carrier. Don't need that aggravation.

Perhaps, I might OC in places where it is SOP (i.e. outdoor range, etc. etc.).
Keith

Post by Keith »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:36 am
TC6969 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:07 am I know the "HEY! EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME!" crowd would be all over it, but how many of you would actually strap one on and go out in public?
I would not... for both the "element of surprise" factor as well as the SWATing factor. Until there is a cultural change, and people start getting used to people carrying openly without a badge next to it, some snowflakes will still freak and want to SWAT the carrier. Don't need that aggravation.

Perhaps, I might OC in places where it is SOP (i.e. outdoor range, etc. etc.).
This 100%.
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

Nope.

I treat it as a "need to know" status. No desire to carry openly. Though, I might in the appropriate context, such as camping in the wilderness.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
tector

Post by tector »

Most of the time, no, but perhaps occasionally for comfort. There are also times you might legitimately want a bit of an intimidation factor. After a bad hurricane I might want to advise miscreants to just steer clear and find easier prey. I remember one time I had to go into a migrant housing complex in Belle Glade. I carried, but OC would have been a good option to have. I think surprise is usually the best element, but avoiding issues altogether through deterrence has a place, too. The best shoot is the one you never have to make.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

No, with the exception of coming across a crowd of Libs during the course of a protest, brunch, mall, etc. THEN I would "whip it out". :lol:
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Nope. I wouldn't OC unless it was for work or some kind of field thing. Just normal everyday life? You don't need to know that I'm packing.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
joel

Post by joel »

tector wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:05 pm Most of the time, no, but perhaps occasionally for comfort. There are also times you might legitimately want a bit of an intimidation factor. After a bad hurricane I might want to advise miscreants to just steer clear and find easier prey. I remember one time I had to go into a migrant housing complex in Belle Glade. I carried, but OC would have been a good option to have. I think surprise is usually the best element, but avoiding issues altogether through deterrence has a place, too. The best shoot is the one you never have to make.
+1
Taco

Post by Taco »

It's hot in Florida. I may want to tuck my cover shirt under my holster to help it breathe at times- like when getting into a hot car or driving a long distance. I may want to remove my cover shirt completely if I'm amongst friends. I do open carry about half the time at home or in my yard (feeding the animals, yard work, etc). I may on occasion open carry, but generally, I'd carry the same way I do now. It would be really nice to have the option, especially since it is an option nearly everywhere else in the country.