Anyone live near RR tracks?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

When I was a kid, a major freight line was one block south of me, but since there were no crossings, they never “honked the horn”. 3 blocks north of me was a major RR yard, including a round house at the end of my street. Again, no horns. Actually, our entire town was surrounded by tracks. I always slept well. GARY.
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

Ages ago I rented half a house that was up for sale. We were very helpful in getting it sold, when people stopped by for a showing, we always pointed out that the really big yard went all the way back to the railroad tracks. Hear them often? Nah, they only ran at night when you were sleeping. You couldn't barely hear them when old Joe, the near deaf guy next door, fell asleep with his radio blasting. :)

Honestly, a month in the house and you'll never notice them. Guests will try to yell over them but you'll find just pausing conversation comes natural.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

TC6969 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:04 pm A railroad track caused my Grandparents to have 9 kids!

The train came by in the morning, and it was too early to get up, but too late to go back to sleep! :D
The best story of the month award :lol:
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
photohause

Post by photohause »

I had an apt closer than that once. I would be on the phone when the horn would blow...people on the other end would say "What's Thas!!!"... I said I was on the water & it was a boat.

DO NOT BUY.

Fine a place which is 25-30 minuets walking distance and rent it, IF this RR has a stop and is good for commuters going to work. Otherwise, forgeetaboutit.

I should also ad that I now live about 1/8th of a mile away from a gate crossing, but it is way downhill from us...grading of topography helps quite bit...barley ever hear it.

What is the land like that you are looking at...flat & even?
Last edited by photohause on Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
p7fl

Post by p7fl »

I am a quarter mile from the tracks and about another 200 yards from a crossing.
When the new line started they blew the horn at the crossing and I could hear it inside. My house is built like a bunker so you know it was loud.
When the rules changed and they no longer used the whistle at the crossing everything changed.
It is a fast train, 4 or 5 cars, I am not aware it is even there.
If this question had not been asked, the last thing I would think of regarding my house would be the train.
Then again I grew up under one of the run ways at Idlewild Airport and got use to missing whole sections of conversation on the TV.
Iosef

Post by Iosef »

I live out in the country. There's a railroad about 7 miles away, with the nearest crossing about 10 miles away. I never hear the train horns, but the throbbing engines will sometimes wake me in the night. The neighbor's dogs and rooster are more of a nuisance.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

joker223 wrote:I have relatives that live near RR tracks. Very loud, and the dust that is stirred up is horrible.
Bingo! Mother-In-Law suite!
ss1

Post by ss1 »

My girlfriend is a realtor and had a listing with the brightline tracks on the other side of the backyard fence. The house had impact glass and thick sago palms to try to cut the noise, but you definitely heard and felt it but it was short lived. I believe they ran the freight trains in the morning and late at night. The owner was emphatic that you get used to it but potential buyers hightailed it out of there whenever a train roared past during a showing. It took a while to sell it but it was also a popular neighborhood in southern Boca.