Anyone live near RR tracks?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Tenzing_Norgay

Anyone live near RR tracks?

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

I'm looking at a house that's 160' from the FEC RR tracks. These are the tracks that Brightline will be rolling on soon. The used car saleman...err...umm...RE agent states the train noise is "hardly noticeable". :roll:

I currently live 3833' from the same tracks. Depending on which way the wind is blowing, I can hear/feel the train. I can't imagine that 160' is "hardly noticeable". I've tried to figure out the schedule of the trains so I can visit the property when one passes, but it seems the longest/loudest pass through (randomly) at night. Seller isn't going to let me camp out to wait for a train.

So...anyone live(d) on/near tracks? Your experience?

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/aunirrE7xV51w9GJA
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I lived in a small town in IL, and when the train would come threw at midnight he would blow his horn-like people where out that night F up just saying. It just depends on when the train will do it's run near you would be the only problem you have an RXR crossing near you just depends if he blows his horn like a mad man. LOL
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

LOL, so close to a crossing too. They have to blow their horn by law 4 times for every crossing.

Trust your gut on this deal.
ABOC

Post by ABOC »

Generally speaking now is not a the best time to buy but rather sell real estate.
And regardless there is never a good time to buy real-estate near railroad tracks.

Don't waste your money buying someone else's problem.
If you "must" buy something now, look somewhere else.
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens" - Arnaud Amaury 1209
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

What confuses me on this deal is people are paying $400k ~ $500k+ to live in this neighborhood. Do they not realize how close they are to the tracks when making their offers or are they all deaf?

When communicating via e-mail or phone with used car salesmen/future baristas who blather on about "fabulous views" to justify pricing, I tell them I'm blind... :lol:
Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

ABOC wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:23 am Generally speaking now is not a the best time to buy but rather sell real estate.
Homie don't pay retail... :roll:
Bobberfishin

Post by Bobberfishin »

I'm A Real Estate Broker in Polk County (can you hear the banjos yet?) & didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Been doing this for over 25 yrs.
Do not buy that close to RR tracks.
CSX built a warehouse at the other end of our town, Winter Haven. They added another set of tracks just up to where they couldn't go any further because of train trestles & the number of lakes that have small bridges. They immediately picked up with the 2nd set again as soon as the land was workable again.
The number of trains increased dramatically. They even have them waiting at the double tracks to be given the go ahead once the lane is clear ahead on the single track.
We fought the school board on rezoning our large neighborhood (900 homes) & used the safety issue of this new number of trains because of the warehouse addition. We didn't want our kids waiting at bus stops in the dark, while brand new young drivers are speeding along the roads not paying attention, texting & talking on their phones with added train traffic. Safety issues seem to be the key component. School Board evidently didn't want the liability. They knew the train traffic was increasing
WE WON!!!!
The amount of train traffic will not lessen, it will get worse & worse & worse.
Captain Steinbrenner

Post by Captain Steinbrenner »

160’ from the train tracks is really close.
Hard pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Not if it’s in regular use.

I live about 2 miles from tracks, with lots of buildings in between. While I cannot hear the train itself, I can hear the horn, as mentioned earlier. Not bad, maybe the right volume for an old country song. At anything less than 1/4 mile, you’ll hear and possibly feel the train. Run away, run away. The unpredictable is enough of a problem, that which one can predict, you know....

However, I do tell my dogs if they misbehave, and point to the direction of the horn, “Third boxcar, midnight train, deeeeeestination Bangor Maine. “
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.