Anyone live near RR tracks?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
joker223

Post by joker223 »

I have relatives that live near RR tracks. Very loud, and the dust that is stirred up is horrible.
Bmup

Post by Bmup »

A couple of years ago I worked in an office bldg about 2 blocks from those same tracks in Boca. On the 2nd floor where I was, we never heard the trains go by at all. Several times a day however, the whole building would vibrate like what I imagine an earthquake must feel like. The high speed train was even more noticeable & would even rattle the windows.

I would walk away from that house unless it's a "Really Good Deal" but just remember that you'll have the same problem selling it as the current owner. Other areas to avoid are near the airport, drawbridges, and nightclubs.

Just my 2 cents.
"Biden/Fetterman 2024 - It's a No Brainer!"

"No society ever thrived because it had a large group of parasites living off those who produce." - Dr. Thomas Sowell
Taco

Post by Taco »

My grandmother's house was ~25' in front of the commuter rail. It ran hourly M-F 50 after the hour westbound and 23 after eastbound. Weekend service switched to 33 after westbound and cut to every other hour except for 9a-12p and 4p-8p (back to hourly), eastbound had trains every 2 hours on the weekend but the time differed depending on the final stop (which line) was covering. You do get good at knowing what time it is, and you naturally stop chatting and resume once it passes. Whole house shook. Oddly enough, you get used to it in a couple of days, hardly notice.

My house was just outside JFK airport. Generally planes land coming in over the lower-income section of the city. Chicken or egg, don't know. But no amount of political donations could guarantee wind direction, and we would get planes landing from overhead a couple of days a month. That was much worse- unpredictable and constant at all hours. They weren't as low as some of the planes I see down here over the runways that start on the highway, but the whole house rumbled and you'd get hit with a big breeze just after it passed over. It was the go to excuse if you air-balled on the playground.

Don't know how loud or how consistent freight trains run.
ABOC

Post by ABOC »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:11 am
ABOC wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:23 am Generally speaking now is not a the best time to buy but rather sell real estate.
Homie don't pay retail... :roll:
You should enlighten us as to how you are buying RE at a discount ... I am sure many would be interested.
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens" - Arnaud Amaury 1209
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:08 pm I'm looking at a house that's 160' from the FEC RR tracks. These are the tracks that Brightline will be rolling on soon. The used car saleman...err...umm...RE agent states the train noise is "hardly noticeable". :roll:

I currently live 3833' from the same tracks. Depending on which way the wind is blowing, I can hear/feel the train. I can't imagine that 160' is "hardly noticeable". I've tried to figure out the schedule of the trains so I can visit the property when one passes, but it seems the longest/loudest pass through (randomly) at night. Seller isn't going to let me camp out to wait for a train.

So...anyone live(d) on/near tracks? Your experience?

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/aunirrE7xV51w9GJA
I lived about 160 ft from rr tracks when I was around 13 to 17. My bedroom was the front porch that had been enclosed. It faced the rr tracks. It had those old jalousie windows all the way around it.

If you Google state rd 39 and Joe McIntosh Loop you can see where I'm talking about. The house immediately on the left right after going over railroad tracks.

The HOUSE is located on Joe Macintosh Loop off of N. State Rd 39 in PLANT CITY. The old house is there believe it or not. Though it's lacking greatly in care now.

It absolutely SUCKED I did poorly in school while living there because of lack of sleep. Back then they'd blow that damn horn all hours of the night and being that close to those tracks. It rebrevated in your body and you could feel every bump in your body that the train hit on the tracks. Not to mention there was a switch track there also. Sometimes the train would back up and go forward for hours at night.

I live 2.5 miles from rr tracks now and your right depending on the way the wind blows and temp. You can almost feel it. But everytime I'm laying in bed and hear that horn blow. My mind drifts back to that childhood bedroom.

It was the perfect life except for those tracks. I'd get home from school. Load trailor attached to tractor with hay to feed cattle. Camped out alot on 160 acres. Now it's all retirement trailor parks. From Joe McIntosh loop to Sam Allen Rd down to Parks Rd.

It's so sad to see all of our woodlands ripped up and developed for a bunch of damn Yankees moving here from the North. Instead of rebuilding existing shopping centers. They just build new ones and the old ones sit empty for years becoming a eye sore.

All for the mighty dollar the counties will get by allowing over development of our counties. :(

I would never buy property that close to train tracks. Trust me it is a bad investment and that sales is a damn liar and idoit.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:09 am What confuses me on this deal is people are paying $400k ~ $500k+ to live in this neighborhood. Do they not realize how close they are to the tracks when making their offers or are they all deaf?

When communicating via e-mail or phone with used car salesmen/future baristas who blather on about "fabulous views" to justify pricing, I tell them I'm blind... :lol:
I think that before they buy. They do not actually realize their consequences of living that close to railroad tracks. But 160 ft from tracks is a very bad business decision. You could give me a house and I'd not live there.
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Bobberfishin wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:45 am I'm A Real Estate Broker in Polk County (can you hear the banjos yet?) & didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Been doing this for over 25 yrs.
Do not buy that close to RR tracks.
CSX built a warehouse at the other end of our town, Winter Haven. They added another set of tracks just up to where they couldn't go any further because of train trestles & the number of lakes that have small bridges. They immediately picked up with the 2nd set again as soon as the land was workable again.
The number of trains increased dramatically. They even have them waiting at the double tracks to be given the go ahead once the lane is clear ahead on the single track.
We fought the school board on rezoning our large neighborhood (900 homes) & used the safety issue of this new number of trains because of the warehouse addition. We didn't want our kids waiting at bus stops in the dark, while brand new young drivers are speeding along the roads not paying attention, texting & talking on their phones with added train traffic. Safety issues seem to be the key component. School Board evidently didn't want the liability. They knew the train traffic was increasing
WE WON!!!!
The amount of train traffic will not lessen, it will get worse & worse & worse.
This man above knows exactly what he's talking about.
Wolfdog

Post by Wolfdog »

When I bought in 92 my house was 100 feet or so from tracks. Very seldom used and low speed byt would still get your attention. Now it is a bike path and the kids running thier quads up and down at night way noisier.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

A railroad track caused my Grandparents to have 9 kids!

The train came by in the morning, and it was too early to get up, but too late to go back to sleep! :D
TACC

Post by TACC »

That is some funny stuff

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk