(2016 Lexus LS 460) Clicking / knocking sounds when turning the wheels

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

(2016 Lexus LS 460) Clicking / knocking sounds when turning the wheels

Post by armedpolak »

Recently my 2016 LS 460 started to make a lot of clicking / knocking (or like creaking sounds, like when you open an old door and it goes click click click) when driving and turning at low speeds. I took it to my friend's shop yesterday, he drove it, then we put the car on the lift and according to him nothing looked out of place. After lowering the car back down it started to make the noises much more now, as if taking the tension of the suspension loosen something up or whatever.

I will take the car to the dealer since it's still on warranty, but does anyone have any idea what this could be??? it didn't do that when I got it 6-8 weeks ago, and only recently started. Car has only 22K miles and otherwise feels and drives perfectly. nobody has been beating up on the car neither. also it only happens when driving, and very rarely when the car is stopped.

I recorded a video of it just now, you can very clearly hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN-yP8Gd-iY

HELP!!!
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

I would guess it's a prematurely worn/bad from the factory ball joint. There's no way to lube them anymore on most new cars, so all you can do is replace them when they start acting up. I don't even think they use lube anymore, it's a teflon-like material. So it getting worn and plastic on metal or plastic on plastic wear would perfectly explain that sound, especially because it sounds like a lot of weight is on whatever is making that sound.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

zeebaron wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:51 pm I would guess it's a prematurely worn/bad from the factory ball joint. There's no way to lube them anymore on most new cars, so all you can do is replace them when they start acting up. I don't even think they use lube anymore, it's a teflon-like material. So it getting worn and plastic on metal or plastic on plastic wear would perfectly explain that sound.
is it dangerous to drive it this way or can this wait a week? my wife and kids are flying out next Saturday and so I would have a second car to drive around while this one is being fixed.

btw the car is L/Certified with full warranty, so I can assume it will be done free of charge?
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

if it's L certified you will get a loaner
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

armedpolak wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:55 pm
zeebaron wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:51 pm I would guess it's a prematurely worn/bad from the factory ball joint. There's no way to lube them anymore on most new cars, so all you can do is replace them when they start acting up. I don't even think they use lube anymore, it's a teflon-like material. So it getting worn and plastic on metal or plastic on plastic wear would perfectly explain that sound.
is it dangerous to drive it this way or can this wait a week? my wife and kids are flying out next Saturday and so I would have a second car to drive around while this one is being fixed.

btw the car is L/Certified with full warranty, so I can assume it will be done free of charge?
I think the teflon plastic surrounds the ball inside the socket, so if that is actually broken which is causing the noise, it could be indeed dangerous to drive because that's what's holding it in for the most part. I certainly wouldn't recommend driving at highway speeds with it if you have to drive it before you can get it looked at. I would think it would def be covered under factory warranty.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Here's what one looks like inside, so you can perfectly imagine it making that exact sound if it's bad:

REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I don’t think it’s front wheel drive but, by any chance is it all wheel drive? That’s the kind of noise CV joints make. If just rear wheel, yeah, like see baron says.

Good luck. The ball joints on my expedition are squeaking and groaning, so I’m in the same boat.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

REDinFL wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:51 pm I don’t think it’s front wheel drive but, by any chance is it all wheel drive? That’s the kind of noise CV joints make. If just rear wheel, yeah, like see baron says.

Good luck. The ball joints on my expedition are squeaking and groaning, so I’m in the same boat.
It's RWD, 4 years old with only 22K miles. is this normal wear and tear or just bad luck with a faulty factory part?
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

It’s faulty. As zeebaron said, the rubber boots deteriorate and the ball joints are no longer protected and the grease isn’t held in. They’re using junk rubber/plastic now. What you’d normally see, looking at the control arms and where the wheels are attached are some fat, ribbed rubber tapered cylinders. The ball joints and their “lifetime” :lol: grease are inside those. When the rubber deteriorates, it just flakes off. Faulty materials (as they didn’t do this in years past unless you lived in a northern winter area - road salt). Whole thing has to be replaced.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
photohause

Post by photohause »

Muffler Bearings!
It's all ball-bearings nowadays.
15 genuine Muffler Bearings. These fit any make, any model, any year. Most mufflers only need 3 or 4 bearings, so depending on your usage you may be able to service 5 mufflers with this pack.

Best of all - these are 1/2 the price of factory Muffler Bearings, and they're twice as round!

Blinker Fluid and Power-Bands sold separately.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?