Do You Keep Your Boxes?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Tenzing_Norgay

Do You Keep Your Boxes?

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

I have a significant collection of rifles & pistols, many NIB. I don't store them in the boxes, but now have a pile of boxes taking up space.

I may sell some of the guns in the future, but not sure if selling with the box included will add value.

So...keep or dump the box?
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

Many times value is perceived/real. It may not add big big dollars but it sure is nice to say “I’ve got the box, paperwork, and lock”.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

I keep mine, for sure. Serial # stickers, etc. etc.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

I try keeping all the boxes when I can, even if I keep them up in the nasty attic.

I have sold some non-collectable shooters over the years and the potential buyers occassionally said they would not buy the gun unless I could supply the box and manuals.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

With no disrespect intended how do you not know the box is often a big difference in price?

Seriously if we are talking about a $100.00 piece of junk no but anything of any moderate value will have a box or be worth less money

The first semi-auto pistol the Borchardt (German) is on average worth about $10K. $20K with the box and $100K if it has everything, manual, cleaning kit etc etc
Yes that is an extreme example but almost any average gun is worth more with the box.
Guns with wear that are fairly common will not lose a lot like say a used G19 may not make much difference but a Colt Gold Cup might be worth 20% less.

Heck, I was looking at electric lawn mowers and a guy was trashing one saying since he threw away the box so he could not return it and was screwed.
Is it that big a deal to throw the box in the attic at least until the warranty is up? Many companies will not accept a warranty return unless it is shipped in the same box and some will but make you pay for a new box to return it

Sig boxes from say 1989-94 may bring as much as $100.00 empty
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

What mavrik said.

Take two identical guns, both of which were fired once and then put up for sale with one in the box and one that isn't.

The one with no box is perceived as well used and will bring much less when sold.

I guess people think that something still in the box is closer to new or something.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

we are a top 1000 seller on GB, every MF'ed asks if we have the box and paperwork :roll: , I would keep them if you want the most out of the resale

FWIW the 100 yr commemorative Winchester 1894-1994 cardboard box alone is worth over $100 :mrgreen:
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

OK, OK...I'll keep the damn boxes!

Can't keep them in the attic, as the spray-foam insulation isn't fireproofed. I'll have to find somewhere for 'em...

Thx, all.

:D
photohause

Post by photohause »

Keep them! Basement? ; - ))
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

photohause wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:39 pm Keep them! Basement? ; - ))
When is the last time you saw a basement in FL?! :lol: