Recommend a garage door opener

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Wulfmann

Recommend a garage door opener

Post by Wulfmann »

My opener contractor grade Wayne Dalton Quantum 2004 model is not working right (never has but is now worse)
It will not close by remote and is hard to open with the wall switch plus it turns itself on without being activated (a known problem with these)
I want a new one for my 2 car garage door which is a 600 pound hurricane door

I have heard the Genie is not as good as it used to be.
I do not need one that uses a cell phone (do not have a cell phone)

What do you recommend?
rug357

Post by rug357 »

I have a chamberlain brand that’s been working great for past 19 years. Our garage door is opened and closed 15+ times a day as we enter and exit through the garage door most of the time.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
jimmac

Post by jimmac »

I worked in Research & Development for Chamberlain, they are the best bar none.
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms, add a bag of Doritos, and we have a picnic.
It's a beautiful day, watch some idiot come along and screw it up.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER, RETIRED FIRE LIEUTENANT. FORMER AUX POLICE OFFICER, FORMER POLICE COMMISSIONER
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

My 16" door is a hurricane door meaning it has twice as many horizontal metal braces as a regular door.

Is 3/4HP enough or do I require 1 1/4HP?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Wulfmann wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 am My 16" door is a hurricane door meaning it has twice as many horizontal metal braces as a regular door.

The springs do most of the work. 3/4hp should be enough, assuming they're adjusted correctly.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

rug357 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:32 am I have a chamberlain brand that’s been working great for past 19 years. Our garage door is opened and closed 15+ times a day as we enter and exit through the garage door most of the time.
Would you know if Chamberlin has a "phone app" for opening/closing as opposed to the little wired button outside? I' know they'd have remotes, but I want something I can control from my phone (which will always be by my side.... the remotes may not be...)?
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

I got a Craftsman from Home Depot few years ago and it's been working just fine. I had to readjust the push/pull force after replacing my garage good recently, it would stop right after starting to close. cranking the down power from 5 to 7 appears to have fixed that issue.

it's a 1/2HP model btw.
Wulfmann

Post by Wulfmann »

I bought a Genie 750 1 1/4 HP. It was $188. at HD and I wanted to get this done yesterday.
Came with 2 remotes, wired control and outside wireless pad requiring a combination to use plus has battery backup.
Most all openers are smart phone compatible now
Very quite and seems to work as advertised

I have installed 4 or 5 of these over my life and I can tell you at 70 they get harder physically but easier mentally :lol:
ss1

Post by ss1 »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:47 pm
rug357 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:32 am I have a chamberlain brand that’s been working great for past 19 years. Our garage door is opened and closed 15+ times a day as we enter and exit through the garage door most of the time.
Would you know if Chamberlin has a "phone app" for opening/closing as opposed to the little wired button outside? I' know they'd have remotes, but I want something I can control from my phone (which will always be by my side.... the remotes may not be...)?
Yes they have an app/aftermarket package called MyQ that you can retro fit to chamberlain/lift master openers. It comes with a hub that must be connected to wifi and you need to attach a door sensor so it knows if it’s open it closed. Ours is a little glitchy and sometimes reports the door open when it’s closed. I also HATE the fact that they do not want their system to communicate with most popular smart home hubs such as the Samsung SmartThings hub that I use to control our lighting, locks and HVAC. I’ve seen their higher end openers include the hub and sensors.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Wulfmann wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 am My 16" door is a hurricane door meaning it has twice as many horizontal metal braces as a regular door.

Mine is 3/4 hp as the motor doesn't do the heavy lifting...springs do.
Keep the springs properly tensioned.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.