Lexus LS 460 Questions...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
armedpolak

Lexus LS 460 Questions...

Post by armedpolak »

Looking to buy certified pre-owned 2016 LS 2016 with 21K miles...

1) What am I looking at for insurance cost per month? Currently paying $190/month for Honda Pilot and Toyota Corolla fully insured with $500 deductible.

2) Are those reliable??????? Car comes with 2 years bumper to bumper, and I'm thinking about getting 2 more years for $2150... I've been driving Japanese cars for 20 years and never had a single issue, but who knows... no air suspension on this model btw, which I hear was their weak point...

Need info ASAP :D
xdtim

Post by xdtim »

At 21K miles, you really can't go wrong unless someone has beat the living snot out of it, and even then, hard to find issues at this stage. I would start it and shut it down several times. Then take it out and accelerate hard, get it going as fast as you're comfortable, or as the current owner will let you without shitting his pants. Then, hook it up to a scanner (via OBD2 port). If no check engine light, then theoretically, should be showing no codes.

Look at the brake rotors carefuly. If you see any bluing, beware. Car has been driven hard. Check the condition of the motor oil; should be nice and clear and (at 21K miles) have ZERO smell of fuel. If you do purchase it, goes without saying to never put anything but a high quality full synthetic in it. Newer cars that see a lot of highway miles will burn a little oil - very little, so if you're mileage is mostly highway - and ESPECIALLY driven at higher speeds (if my Speed-O isn't reading three digits on the highway, my car gets confused :lol: ), or figures my other half is driving it - she thinks 80 is living on the edge - and next oil change (every 5K to 8K with a good full synthetic) you're down a quart or less, don't let it throw you.

Biggest issues on a lot of Lexus vehicles is stupid little oil leaks (VCG, TCC). Not a big deal, just a PIA.

Again, at 21K, its a new car.

Good luck !

Tim
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

xdtim wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:06 pm At 21K miles, you really can't go wrong unless someone has beat the living snot out of it, and even then, hard to find issues at this stage. I would start it and shut it down several times. Then take it out and accelerate hard, get it going as fast as you're comfortable, or as the current owner will let you without shitting his pants. Then, hook it up to a scanner (via OBD2 port). If no check engine light, then theoretically, should be showing no codes.

Look at the brake rotors carefuly. If you see any bluing, beware. Car has been driven hard. Check the condition of the motor oil; should be nice and clear and (at 21K miles) have ZERO smell of fuel. If you do purchase it, goes without saying to never put anything but a high quality full synthetic in it. Newer cars that see a lot of highway miles will burn a little oil - very little, so if you're mileage is mostly highway - and ESPECIALLY driven at higher speeds (if my Speed-O isn't reading three digits on the highway, my car gets confused :lol: ), or figures my other half is driving it - she thinks 80 is living on the edge - and next oil change (every 5K to 8K with a good full synthetic) you're down a quart or less, don't let it throw you.

Biggest issues on a lot of Lexus vehicles is stupid little oil leaks (VCG, TCC). Not a big deal, just a PIA.

Again, at 21K, its a new car.

Good luck !

Tim
I first had the sales guy drive it, then I drove it. It's from JM Lexus, so neither him nor me could drive it fast nor hard, though he did put it in sport and floored it few times... it had 1 owner and it was a lease... I don't think people who lease those beat up on them... I would hope... I REALLY want this car but don't wanna get stuck with a lemon...
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Off Lease Only (WPB) has a 2017 for $1k less & only 18k mi. It's also silver...not "Soccer Mom red"... :lol:

https://www.offleaseonly.com/used-car/l ... 145397.htm

Don't forget factoring the cost of premium gas.

That being said, whichever car you choose, sell it the day the warranty expires... ;)
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
S&W collector

Post by S&W collector »

Off Lease Only is a good place to shop if you want to buy a car that was in a wreck before. Despite their name they sell more than the stuff from off Lease
amheck

Post by amheck »

Yes, I think Off Lease Only has the lowest prices on Autotrader for a reason. I wouldn't touch them for anything.

Certified is great, the Lexus and Toyota products should go for a long time.

The ex-lease though...I don't know. Wouldn't some people beat up on a car they know isn't theirs forever? Same reason I'd also never buy a vehicle from Hertz, etc.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Nothing wrong with OffLeaseOnly. 🙄
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

I got the car today :D coming from a corolla... it is just amazing! the LS was always my dream car and I could finally afford one without sacrificing anything I provide for my family. I absolutely love it!!! oh and the V8 does a great job propelling it... it's just so smooth off the red light... I f'ing love it!
revelation

Post by revelation »

S&W collector wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:46 am Off Lease Only is a good place to shop if you want to buy a car that was in a wreck before. Despite their name they sell more than the stuff from off Lease
Wouldn't there be a carfax report for any car that had any damaged that was claimed through the previous owner's insurance?
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell
556pro

Post by 556pro »

Lexus is the best if you ask me. I have owned a half dozen over the years. my gs430 had over 400k on it when i sold it. My current to have 130k and 180k. All Team lexus here.