Teachers Unhappy With Raise

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Taco

Post by Taco »

I don't understand the problem. Even in this government monopoly is underlying are capitalism principles. Government says pay rate is x. Employee thinks pay rate should be 2x. Government says no, we are paying x. Employee can work for x or work somewhere else. They aren't prisoners, they aren't indentured servants. If no one qualified will work for the pay then there are two options- standards will have to be lowered to increase the candidate pool (something that the consumers of the service should complain about, as it is a monopoly system and there is no competition [I'm not considering private, home, and charter as competition as you are still paying for public]) or the pay rate will be forced to rise. Why is someone agreeing to work for x and then complaining they are getting paid x?
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Skoll wrote:Let's look at education rates in the state and see if they even deserve $47k.
The Florida Public School system is mental poison.
Time to privatize the whole damn enchilada.
Free market education will quickly sort out who gets premium pay for premium performance, just like everything else.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

dammitgriff wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Skoll wrote:Let's look at education rates in the state and see if they even deserve $47k.
The Florida Public School system is mental poison.
Time to privatize the whole damn enchilada.
Free market education will quickly sort out who gets premium pay for premium performance, just like everything else.
I agree. The government should have absolutely no hand in education, because then you get shit like we have now, a modified prussian system that was intended for military cadets turning out space brains that are selfish, entitled, and cannot think for themselves.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Well, I worked as an industrial mechanic for 30 plus years. Two thousand eighty hours annually but most of the time way more due to mandated overtime. The boss needs his machines working to make profit and enhance shareholder value.

I have an AS in Chemistry and a BS in Mechanical Engineering.

At most I was paid for ten holidays though I was mandated to work the week of Independence Day and the week between Christmas and New Years. Throw in a couple of weeks paid vacation, at eight hours per day, while I normally worked over 52 hours weekly.

No tenure, no six and a half hour days and no Summer off on top of paid Winter Break and Spring Break. My best year was the year before I was terminated (2011) so the boss could hire a team of cheaper recent immigrant labor was $55k.

During my career I had paid vacations, healthcare insurance split between me and the boss, at most a pension paying $1.15 per year of service which eventually went away. We were paid off. If it wasn't for my 401k I'd be as broke as a public school teacher. (LOL!)

While I was not moulding young heads full of mush to the progressive ideal the products the machines I serviced made gadgets for things as diverse as aircrafts and medical devises. Yeah your life was dependent on what I helped make. Shouldn't that be worth more?
Taco

Post by Taco »

P5 Guy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:37 am Shouldn't that be worth more?
It seems the answer you are seeking is yes, however your own willingness to work for that amount contradicts the premise- let alone the other lower-cost labor that replaced you. If the lower-cost labor produced inferior results and it causes the death of some people, then perhaps you could argue their total cost is more than yours.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Austrian economics, Taco?

P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Taco wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 pm
It seems the answer you are seeking is yes, however your own willingness to work for that amount contradicts the premise- let alone the other lower-cost labor that replaced you. If the lower-cost labor produced inferior results and it causes the death of some people, then perhaps you could argue their total cost is more than yours.
I made a fine living and have no regrets, also I was able to save/invest to fund a comfortable retirement.
Not many factories paid better at the time. No way would I fit into an office setting where I may have been better compensated. I was a hands dirty technician and enjoyed it.

I have a problem with folks that say you cannot live comfortably on a $47k salary for what is basically a part time job. Teachers have ten week off when they can supplement their meager government salary.
Crashpanic

Post by Crashpanic »

Taco wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 pm
I wish I could down vote this. American workers have been screwed for years, and then they bring in the foreign labor, H1Bs, etc, and screw them over worse.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Honestly, the good teacher who work hard should get more but the schools are run by too many Liberal retards. I have been servicing schools for the past 5 months and the way teachers act when they don't get their way is mind-blowing and they sure do love to lie to your face and everything is an emergency.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.