Teachers Unhappy With Raise

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
P5 Guy

Teachers Unhappy With Raise

Post by P5 Guy »

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/desa ... e-teachers

Yeah I know this is from last year. Just this AM on WUSF's Florida Report the teachers union is whining that there are parts of FL that $47k isn't enough.

Maybe the school boards and school admins should take a pay cut?
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Typical of Gooberment workers. No competitive pressures to control them at local, state or federal levels. Gooberment keeps guns to the heads of Taxpayers to raise whatever the drones want.

What pisses me off the most about the "teachers" is that all they really are Libiturd indocronators. They don't teach American History as it occurred, don't teach the Constitution. The just teach the Soros Image

Meanwhile, Gooberment retirees I know travel the world, go out to the expensive restaurants multiple times a week.They don't live in the sh1thole that they "earned" their living but retire somewhere else decent. Some I know get 100% of their salary for their pension. They get regular pension increases, while most of us that have to work for a living get no pensions anymore at all. All while my job is pressured to head towards India because the US executive care more about India unemployment than US unemployment.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Flame Red wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:19 am Typical of Gooberment workers. No competitive pressures to control them at local, state or federal levels. Gooberment keeps guns to the heads of Taxpayers to raise whatever the drones want.

What pisses me off the most about the "teachers" is that all they really are Libiturd indocronators. They don't teach American History as it occurred, don't teach the Constitution. The just teach the Soros Image

Meanwhile, Gooberment retirees I know travel the world, go out to the expensive restaurants multiple times a week.They don't live in the sh1thole that they "earned" their living but retire somewhere else decent. Some I know get 100% of their salary for their pension. They get regular pension increases, while most of us that have to work for a living get no pensions anymore at all. All while my job is pressured to head towards India because the US executive care more about India unemployment than US unemployment.
So you're suggesting that "teachers" should be happy making their $47k a year? When they retire they'll be rolling in the money?
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Flame Red wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:19 am Typical of Gooberment workers. No competitive pressures to control them at local, state or federal levels. Gooberment keeps guns to the heads of Taxpayers to raise whatever the drones want.

The only thing I agree with in this post is that most are liberals and that the school boards are over paid. They are not protesting just for a raise. But more money for the schools.

I know teachers and they actually have to spend some of their own money on s ohol supplies. But to say they live high and mighty on their retirementsis a joke. Now if they invested wisely they can live a good life. But not most certainly like the wealthy.

Like I did before retiring. Both my wife and I worked. She still does. But we got our home paid off and have no bills other than utilities.

Now alot of northern teachers with kick ass retirements plus selling their northern homes for alot more than property cost here. Can retire and live extremely well here in Florida. But they bring with them their liberal ideas. Then don't stay retired. They want to run for local GOVERMENT positions.

47k sounds great. But after taxes and yes depending on where you live here in Florida.. Home and rental prices can be stupid based upon what part of Florida you live and work in.. Plus having to buy school supplies also. That is not as much as it looks.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

$47k and whatever they make during the Summer off second job.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Let's look at education rates in the state and see if they even deserve $47k.

The Florida Public School system is mental poison.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
osprey21

Post by osprey21 »

The more $$$$$$$$$ the school boards get, the more they squander - screw 'em.
Believe nothing the MSM tells you.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Teacher really do have a shitty job with little reward with a low pay scale, but the tenure system is bs and should be removed. That said most are way underpaid and take a lot of crap that most wouldn't put up with but a lot of them suck as teachers and should be removed that the tenure system prevents removal for the most part.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

I can only speak from experience with Palm Beach and Broward counties. I have multiple teachers in my family and briefly dipped my toe in that water myself 20 years ago. Teachers in the Florida Retirement System earn 1.6% of their pay for every year that they are in the system. 30 years nets them 48% of their top 5 years' salary. If the teacher tops out at $50k a year, that means that after 30 years of service, they'll retire with a $24k retirement. Can you live off of that? Can you live off of $50k a year? As with every profession, there are teachers that shouldn't be in the field and do a lousy job. Just like cops, those are usually the ones you hear about. The teachers that work hard, get to work early and go home late, use their own money to buy supplies when the school board won't, and go above and beyond to actually TEACH these kids something? They're forgotten and underappreciated except by the students whose lives that they changed. All these years later, I remember my 5th grade and 7th grade teachers who went so far out of their way to put up with this pain in the ass kid and recognized the potential within. They forced me to do better, and I did. Years later I tracked both of them down and made sure that they knew that they changed my life...made me a better person..and that I am a better person for having known them. The flip side to that coin are the teachers that treat children like garbage and negatively affect them for the rest of THEIR lives.

Teachers do not get paid enough for what they do. The system is broken. The teachers that shouldn't be here are protected and unfirable, and the pool for new teachers is shallow due to poor pay packages and lack of support. While that's going on, you have executive level professionals (principals, directors, etc) making decisions based on liability and in some cases, raking in the bucks. Runcie in broward county has a luxury vehicle paid for by the county, and a driver to take him where he wants to go. He makes well over $100k a year. I know of a situation in which a young student, who was a recipient of a heart transplant, was having a medical emergency. The principal didnt' want to call 911 because a report would have to be generated and it may look bad. The teacher had taken it upon herself to read the file of the student and knew the history and the parent's wishes and insisted on an ambulance. Eventually the parents were called and they were furious that there was a delay in care due to bureaucracy. If the teacher hadn't taken the extra effort to a) know the child's history and b) argue against the principal, that child could have died.

I know this is a long rant, and I'm fine with it. Better teachers would make better citizens out of our kids. Pay more, and we will attract better teachers.
George W

Post by George W »

As a nation we spend more per capita than most, if not all other nations, yet consistently rank lower than most industrialized countries showing little correlation between spending and outcome. Private schools often net much better results for half or less per pupil. Is $47k a lot? No. However, the retirement package, and benefits make up a lot of value that the private sector doesn't, netting them more than most workers earning the same amount. When you factor in the hours spent at work, it gets even better, amounting to full time pay for what really isn't a full time job.

Edited to add: The "protests" at the capital lost any credibility they may have had when they paraded Al Sharpton around, adding a race card into the mix.