If you had the money

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Firemedic2000

If you had the money

Post by Firemedic2000 »

My wife want's to buy me Rolex submarine. Even though I've wanted one for years. Just because I really like them. Has nothing to do with status symbol or whatever.

I just wanted one. It shocked me when she gave me a Christmas card with some scratch off lotto tickets ( won 40.00 bucks btw) :P

She had several pictures of Rolex watches and said I'm buying you one decide which one you want.

The market on then has gone up over the last few years. I kinda look at it as an invest piece of jewelry. 4 years ago I could have bought one for about 4k they've doubled in price.

It'd be a birthday and Christmas and 33rd anniversary gift.

But I'm having reservations about it. About her spending her money.

I've bought her tons of gold and diamonds over the years. A 4500.00 diamond bracelet, rings ect. But my favorite is a white gold, diamond, ruby and Sapphire AMERICAN flag brooch. That thing has gone up 25% in value

I have to admit. I consider all of it as part of my retirement funds. She's 15 years older than me. I know I'm bad :lol:

But to me it kinda I guess bothers me for her to spend her money on me.

She's a great lady. But to be fair she said if I kick the bucket first. She'd get her money back plus some :lol:

I have no idea why I'm posting this. Maybe as a way of talking to myself. I'd never post this on arfcom. They are animals over there.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Like 35 years ago, the wife bought me a Stainless Rolex. I think it was the least expensive one they made at the time. If I remember it was a little over $2k. I have no idea what it is worth now.

She got the idea because at the time, we were kid-less and a LOT richer. Every time we would walk around the Florida Mall, which was the closest mall at the time she noticed how I drooled over it. What she did not notice is I was drooling over the one that was gold!

These were the pre-digital days, before computers, cell phones, fit bits and all that other electronic crap. I think you could get a Timex digital though, but Sakeo's were the rage at the time. But there was something about a fine Swiss all mechanical time piece. I did ware it for some years. Sadly, I was a bit hard on it. I had them get all the abuse out of it after many years of abuse and they gave it back to me it looked brand new again. But the cell phones hit I found I did not ware it any more and it sat in the box ever since. But then again, I don't ware any jewelry. Even my wedding ring was abused from ware.

Watches seem to be making a comeback with the gen-X'ers. But I am not sure they are into Rolex.

I am not so sure they are an investment. Maybe gold ones are. But just like guns, if you like it, get it and ware it!
Last edited by Flame Red on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Though it won’t keep time as well as a Casio, it is all those other things, plus a store of value. A friend of mine bought one, and wore it while traveling. His idea was it could “buy” him out of a jam, or quick cash anywhere in the world. I have a Submariner, which I like, but may use to “buy” my freedom, as in attorney fees.

I wonder, though if the newer generations of people will lust after them to keep the prices up. If the millennials don’t care, the values could deteriorate, especially when old farts like me die off and relatives sell them, putting more on the market.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

CaptBarty wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:21 pm Though it won’t keep time as well as a Casio, it is all those other things, plus a store of value. A friend of mine bought one, and wore it while traveling. His idea was it could “buy” him out of a jam, or quick cash anywhere in the world. I have a Submariner, which I like, but may use to “buy” my freedom, as in attorney fees.

I wonder, though if the newer generations of people will lust after them to keep the prices up. If the millennials don’t care, the values could deteriorate, especially when old farts like me die off and relatives sell them, putting more on the market.
The above is correct. Look around, a lot of younger people don’t wear watches at all unless it is an Apple Watch. Their (expensive) cell phones are rarely out of reach and they use their phones to check the time.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

I used to buy/sell watches, including Rolex. If it were my money, and instead of looking like every other "basic d-bag" out there, I'd get something interesting (and less expensive) & invest the difference in a Fidelity Mutual Fund.

Steinhart Ocean One Vintage (about $500):

Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Sold my Omega Cousteau PloProf for $$$ and bought an Ocean7 LM-7 for $600. Only WIS' can tell the difference..

Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Here's a list of some nice Sub homages sorted by price:

https://theupgreater.com/affordable-rol ... ternative/
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

And if you want to go with a high-end name, plus stand out from the khaki/Topsider/Tommy Bahama crowd (🙄), get yourself a Breitling SuperOcean (around $3700)...use the $5k you saved to buy more ammo. That'll appreciate more than any watch ;) :

Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Imagine the look on the face of the high-end hooker after she drugs you in your room at the Hard Rock, and takes your "Bell & Ross" to the pawn shop, only to find out it's a $150 Parnis... :lol:

REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Tenzing, you really know your watches.

I’m just going get a Casio g shock, tough solar, “atomic”, rectangular. Already picked out. The Rolex will buy my freedom. Actually, my favorite watch is an old, gold-filled Gothic (Brand), to me the most valuable watch in the world, it was my dad’s. Incabloc 17 jewel, cleaned and oiled works like new.

If I were still diving or more distance boating, that Breitling orOcean would be nice. Though one mostly wears wrist computers when diving nowadays.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.