If you had the money

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

TC6969 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:14 am
Jeepsnguns wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:41 pm
It looses around 2 minutes a month.
Well, get a wrench and tighten it up if its loose!
TC6969 Wimauma isn't too far from Bradenton, we ought to get together for a couple of beers sometime so you could give me some spelling lessons?
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

SN13 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:09 pm
Firemedic2000 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:52 pm My wife want's to buy me Rolex submarine. Even though I've wanted one for years. Just because I really like them. Has nothing to do with status symbol or whatever.

I just wanted one. It shocked me when she gave me a Christmas card with some scratch off lotto tickets ( won 40.00 bucks btw) :P

She had several pictures of Rolex watches and said I'm buying you one decide which one you want.

The market on then has gone up over the last few years. I kinda look at it as an invest piece of jewelry. 4 years ago I could have bought one for about 4k they've doubled in price.

It'd be a birthday and Christmas and 33rd anniversary gift.

But I'm having reservations about it. About her spending her money.

I've bought her tons of gold and diamonds over the years. A 4500.00 diamond bracelet, rings ect. But my favorite is a white gold, diamond, ruby and Sapphire AMERICAN flag brooch. That thing has gone up 25% in value

I have to admit. I consider all of it as part of my retirement funds. She's 15 years older than me. I know I'm bad :lol:

But to me it kinda I guess bothers me for her to spend her money on me.

She's a great lady. But to be fair she said if I kick the bucket first. She'd get her money back plus some :lol:

I have no idea why I'm posting this. Maybe as a way of talking to myself. I'd never post this on arfcom. They are animals over there.
I have a watch collection and two rolex watches among them.

The modern submariner Date model, is 116610. The modern without a date is the 114060.

These are the thicker lugged, ceramic bezel models.

If you want the older, 16610 or 14060 with the aluminum bezel insert and slimmer lugs, you will pay less.

Then there is the Lume. Earlier 90's models used tritium (now long dead) and later used the Super Luminova. Tritium models will get that creamy patina on the markers eventually... but wont glow anymore.

Anyway, if you are serious, I can offer some help on what to look for and what to avoid so you dont overpay or get scammed.

Cheers. And yes, the arfcom boys don't appreciate a watch that costs more than their rig. :mrgreen:

SN13
I can tell you Mr. SN13 knows what he is talking about! He has been a dear friend of mine for over a decade and his watch collection is nothing short of amazing... see for yourself: https://www.instagram.com/construction_time/?hl=en
Joecruiser

Post by Joecruiser »

Firemedic2000 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:52 pm My wife want's to buy me Rolex submarine.
She's 15 years older than me.
She's a great lady.
I'd never post this on arfcom. They are animals over there
Some observations and comments on my part:

I bought my first Rolex...a GMT Master brand new in 1981 at age 20....and still have it and the receipt to prove it! So yes, accept it. I’m sure you’re worth it....at least to the Mrs.

Now: it’s a Submariner...not a submarine although commonly called a sub.

I retired at 57...I’m 58 and my wife of 25 years is 50. I like younger women...but that’s just me.

I have ZERO doubt your wife is a great lady!

I too,,,,erroneously believed,,,that the animals stayed at Arf....but boy,

Was I wrong.
aka: Dolfan
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I would spend no more than a few hundred on a watch that's about it. 1K and above sound like such a waste of money it seems because what sets it a part nothing really a watch is a watch.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

The only expensive watch I've ever wanted was the "Arnie" Seiko. I heard they're a bitch to find though and go for a big premium. Other than that, basic dive watches serve me well. I'm not terribly particular in my watches except for wanting durability, lumination, and a swivel compass.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Skoll wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:30 pm The only expensive watch I've ever wanted was the "Arnie" Seiko. I heard they're a bitch to find though and go for a big premium. Other than that, basic dive watches serve me well. I'm not terribly particular in my watches except for wanting durability, lumination, and a swivel compass.

the "Arnie" is back

https://wornandwound.com/the-arnie-retu ... 27-snj028/
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

BIG JOE wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:51 pm If my wife had that much pocket change I would let her buy it for me. My issue would be that I don't go to that many places I would where it.
If you still feel guilty spending her money. I can help you with that. Your a lucky man to be married to her.
32 years....Iook at this watch as an invest also. I consider watches like this as jewelry.

It's used because there are no NEW stainless steel watches right now from AD. New the watch I got was around 13,000.00 but being used I paid no where near that.

It'll be here tomorrow. Wearing to the chamber of commerce even we at going to.

As far as comment on keeping time by one poster. I know people that own rolexes. They keep time as well as any other watch. But to insinuate that watches like that basically sucks at keeping time is kind of a ridiculous statement.

I'm extremely humbled by her gift. But hey if she wants me to have it. I'll take it. Everything we own is paid off.

Rolex is doing an 8% increase when they roll out new watches. I've paid over 4k for a diamond bracelet and thousands in other jewelry on her over the years. I look at those as investments also.

Plus to me, in my eye's she deserved everything I've bought her. I guess she feels I've deserve a Rolex and I'll take it and wear it with pride.

I'll still wear my Movado ,Gucci, luminox,Seiko and Bulova watches too. I like to collect watches. Just like guns. When I could have bought instead. Then we'd be having a totally different conversation.

Ammo I'm set. I won't mention how much I have but it's probably more then I could shoot and still have a useable trigger finger. :P
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Slartibartfast wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:32 pm
Skoll wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:30 pm The only expensive watch I've ever wanted was the "Arnie" Seiko. I heard they're a bitch to find though and go for a big premium. Other than that, basic dive watches serve me well. I'm not terribly particular in my watches except for wanting durability, lumination, and a swivel compass.

the "Arnie" is back

Oh man, it's super hard for me to justify $500 on a watch. Really tempted though.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I do like a smartwatch they are nice.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Skoll wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:20 pm
Slartibartfast wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:32 pm

the "Arnie" is back

Oh man, it's super hard for me to justify $500 on a watch. Really tempted though.
The thing with dive watches nowadays is one uses a dive computer, usually wrist strap on. I don’t dive any more, so I’ll stick with my first choice, a G-Shock which I’ll get when the Luminox battery goes, for every day, and my most valuable watch in the world, my 1948 Gothic for more dress occasions. The Rolex will buy my freedom.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.