Can an Employer in Fl Force You To Take Lunch ?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Slartibartfast wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:44 am dept of labor says there is no laws or regulation in fl about
lunch and breaks unless you are under 18yrs old. they say
requiring a lunch and clock out is company policy and not
breaking any rules.

cheap ass company doesn't care about anything but saving
money !

Ben V.

Post by Ben V. »

i worked at a giant printing press in NY that fell under labor laws, but if you chose to take your lunch NOT at your designated time, you could be fired for holding up the line from running, but that is part of getting hired in that case and its made clear. what is also clearly stated is your boss tells you when you take your break in that situation.....i dunno if that helps but ive been giving this topic a little thought for a while now.

part of your hiring agreement usually includes this as well, whether or not it be on paper, or in my world on how i do things - verbal or handshake agreement.

i dunno if that helps but ive been giving this topic a "little" thought for a while now, especially considering the replies from everybody
donr101395

Post by donr101395 »

Slartibartfast wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:44 am dept of labor says there is no laws or regulation in fl about
lunch and breaks unless you are under 18yrs old. they say
requiring a lunch and clock out is company policy and not
breaking any rules.

cheap ass company doesn't care about anything but saving
money !

They could also just tell you that they don't need you if you don't want to take lunch according to company policy. Florida is an at will employment state so all they have to show if asked is that you were in violation of company policy and not fired because of race, religion, etc.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

The hiring business usually has terms and conditions laid out in black and white in their employment contract.
If either party deviates from the contract, there is cause for action.
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

I can see where it can be part of a discrimination lawsuit, if one protected class of employees were made to work through lunch and another weren't. But I've always applied the policy uniformly.