Can an Employer in Fl Force You To Take Lunch ?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
gforester

Post by gforester »

lakelandman wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:54 pm Yeah, Florida sucks when it comes to jobs and pay and benefits one of the worst states I have ever worked in.
Apparently you have never worked in Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama then.
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

Taco wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:48 pm L gave the opposite of the answer- when a company is forced to give a lunch. The question was asked the other way, can a company force a lunch.
You're right.
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

What are the business hours ?
Ben V.

Post by Ben V. »

whats a lunch break? i only stop when i overheat or need a smoke
braknek16

Post by braknek16 »

As an employer i do not force anyone over 18 to take a lunch break we suggest it for 8 and 10hr shift employees only and tell them they have 30minutes to use as they want unpaid. all of the older (50 to 75 years old) always take their full 30 minutes (they feel like it is owed) the middle 30 to 50 years old is about half and half. some dont take a lunch at all and opt to eat on the fly and the rest seem to take 15 to 20 minutes when they actually do ( they feel its an opportunity to pick up extra time each week) 30 to 18 (are more like the 50 to 75 )their parents and society have taught them that they are owed that 30 minutes and have even had some try to tell us the law says" i get 30minutes for lunch and 2 paid breaks per shift "(they can never seem to find the statute to prove it though and we usually have to break out the actual labor laws and explain it to them)
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

I work in an office. Our company manual specifically requires employees to take a one hour lunch (unpaid). Good time to relax, get something to eat, recharge the batteries or even take a short siesta. Folks are not allowed to stay on the clock and eat as the efficiency is never really there when people claim they are working through lunch. Also a great time to take care of personal business. With the above said, we don’t physically “clock in” and our employer trusts each employee to track their own time. We have a mix of hourly and salary employees.
Gregmp15

Post by Gregmp15 »

We got Fucked on this, boss made us take 30 min dinner break but we still had to take care of alarms and problems right away interrupting dinner.
Since the other utility dept didn’t do this we got ok to not be charged for break.
Then city came up with some 2 year recoup policy and I got gyped out of $$$. Got 3 grand check but not reimbursed for another 5-6 years 30 min a day.
Ask me if I made up for it yet lol
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

We're not legally required to give employees a lunch break, and many of them like to work through lunch. But our HR department in Massachusetts thinks the employees are legally required to take lunch, so that's what we have to do.
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

30 to 18 (are more like the 50 to 75 )their parents and society have taught them that they are owed that 30 minutes and have even had some try to tell us the law says" i get 30minutes for lunch and 2 paid breaks per shift "(they can never seem to find the statute to prove it though and we usually have to break out the actual labor laws and explain it to them)
They sound like our Massachusetts office.
Ben V.

Post by Ben V. »

out of curiosity, I took a look around and found this:

Meals and Breaks

Florida labor laws require employers to grant a meal period of at least 30 minutes to employees under the age of 18 who work for more than 4 hours continuously. Florida Stat. 450.081(4).

Florida does not have any laws requiring an employer to provide a meal period or breaks to employees 18 years of age or older, thus the federal rule applies. The federal rule does not require an employer to provide either a meal (lunch) period or breaks. However, if an employer chooses to do so, breaks, usually of the type lasting less than 20 minutes, must be paid. Meal or lunch periods (usually 30 minutes or more) do not need to be paid, so long as the employee is free to do as they wish during the meal or lunch period. DOL: Breaks and Meal Periods.

source: https://www.employmentlawhandbook.com/w ... s/florida/