$8 Background Check?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Taco

$8 Background Check?

Post by Taco »

Spoke to a shop, they want an $8 background check fee... Hasn't it always been $5? Did something go up? They trying to hide a couple of bucks profit in the call? I asked and they said it's always been $8, but that guy could have been working at Publix yesterday... Also, can stamps at $205?

<Not an xfer, something in the case>
Last edited by Taco on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Pretty sure it's called fraud if you collect money under the guise of it being a .gov fee or tax and then not remitting it to the .gov.
Last edited by flcracker on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

They’re practicing for when the politicians say ALL sales must go through an FFL. When something becomes mandatory, the cost goes up, an old rule of real economics.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

The state charges dealers a flat $5 rate it does have a cap that the maximum amount you can charge for a background check is $8

Look at it however you want but you're paying an extra $3 for the transfer under the guise of a background check fee to the shop.....

We only collect $5 but sometime after the New Year we are going to start charging $8....look for it to be the new norm

And by the way silencer shop charges $205 for you to do a tax stamp through them.
Taco

Post by Taco »

rentprop1 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:23 pm The state charges dealers a flat $5 rate it does have a cap that the maximum amount you can charge for a background check is $8

Look at it however you want but you're paying an extra $3 for the transfer under the guise of a background check fee to the shop.....

We only collect $5 but sometime after the New Year we are going to start charging $8....look for it to be the new norm

And by the way silencer shop charges $205 for you to do a tax stamp through them.
That is the info I was looking for... Thanks Rent.

Ended up in the middle of a situation with them anyway. Hopefully, they'll do the right thing- No story yet, no names...
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

rentprop1 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:23 pm The state charges dealers a flat $5 rate it does have a cap that the maximum amount you can charge for a background check is $8

So, the extra $3/$5 is a transfer fee? I would hope that you will be explaining to your customers that the surcharge goes to the shop as a transfer fee and not just represent it as all being a government fee/tax, as the place that Taco went to seems to have done.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I don't care how the customers look at it, the state charges the $ 5 we are merely collecting that for them....they allow dealers to charge whatever price ( up to $ 8 to conduct that check )......the transfer fee you pay the shop is for the paperwork of accepting your firearm, dealing with customers B.S. helping you open the box, showing you how to make it work :roll: , answering your stupid questions about who makes the best holster etc.....not the BGC. usually we are giving something in return, like our time, if you can't correctly fill out the 4473 in a timely manor, or make mistakes and have to start over, who pays for that, you want shops to raise transfer prices ??

if UBC passes, watch what transfer fees jump too, you couldn't imagine that hassle :mrgreen:
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I mean 8.00 is nothing when a Fast food meal costs that much nowadays.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Alright, I'll do the story now, minus the shop name, and get some opinions- maybe it's me, I can be a bit New York sometimes... I'd really like to hear from Rent and the other folks on the other side of the counter.

Bought a 'Black Friday' deal online at a local shop's site. Got an email that it was 'fulfilled' a few days later and assumed that meant it was sitting there with a bow on it. I show up two days later, they say that no- fulfilled means they got the order, and it is in transit to the store... I didn't think it was very clear, but I guess it's on me. Seems it is a common enough occurrence for them based on their reactions. But again, I'll take that one as my issue. 5 days later I call, still not in (starting to get annoyed). Next day I call, I get told that they call when it gets in, placed on hold, then told it is in (annoyance increases). Great, all I owe is the $8 background check. I ask why it isn't $5, they let me know it is always $8, I've already paid, and now missed the other two 'deals' that worked out about the same -tax + shipping & xfer... Really the $8 thing really are at me enough to post here to see if I'm wrong. I'll take Rent's word that it isn't out of line, but the 10 boxes of ammo I was going to buy there (in store only special) I've now decided to buy online and get shipped (about a penny less per round shipped, but while I was there and it is a caliber I am a bit short in... There is my $5 back). If it is the new normal, then it is, and I won't hold it against them, again- I'll say that one is on me...

Here is where it becomes more difficult... They run the 4473, get an instant approval, pull the firearm out of the case, double-check the serial, toss it back in the case, put it in a bag, hand it to me and I go to the parking lot. In the car I take a look- it's short a mag... I look at the manual, says it ships with 3. I pull up the website... 3 mags... I look again... 2. I go back inside and the let them know they shorted me a mag... Manager immediately comes over and confirms- BF deal comes with 2. I show him the website... He pulls up the website, confirms. He let's me know he has a bunch that came in and they all have 2... I let him know that I bought one that has 3. He says the non-BF version has 3, even on the mfg website it says 2 for the custom BF configuration, and the BF deal + a mag is less than regular price... He can get me an extra mag for... $50. I asked him to get me a magazine or cancel the sale. He said he can take it back in on consignment- as now it's used... He texts his IT guy to correct the site and his manufacturer company rep. He says he is going to get me a mag from the rep, and sent me away.

I will update the story either way... I see the potential for the store getting me a mag, the store manager getting amnesia (who are you again?), or the manager coming back that he can't get me a mag...

Was I unreasonable? I get that the shop messed up the post, but it's a $50 worse deal than I thought I was getting... And really that $3 hidden fee, two trips, and two calls already had me hopping mad.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I think you should
1. Stop shopping at Shoot Straight
2.. Its only $3
3. Contact the actual manufacturer and tell them that a dealer is shaving a MAG off the top they will probably send you one for free.

At my shop I don't care what your tracking says your firearm is available for pickup once we receive it and actually have time to log it into our system then it is available to you.... I really try my best to make it available same day.

If we're not super busy I like to open packages in front of the customer so they see exactly how it was sent to us so I can get out of the middle.

Sometimes a deal is not a deal, you can't hold an entire Corporation responsible because and IT guy or a Salesman fat fingered the number of accessories.... would you really expect a car dealer to give you a vehicle for 16000 when it was supposed to read 46....they would tell you pound sand if you pressed.

A lot of times special buys and seasonal specials come with less accessories so they can offer them for a discounted price, a lot of times it's simply a cardboard box instead of a nice plastic box, but look at the stribog as an example they keep including mags and keep raising the price.

There's always Google, Yelp, and Facebook reviews if you truly feel you have been cheated but prepare for the ribbing that you may receive