$8 Background Check?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Taco

Post by Taco »

While this sounds like a Shoot Straight story, it is not. And no more hints...

To be clear, it was ordered from the shop's website- not a transfer. The store was the seller, only two parties (me and the shop) involved. I had no tracking information, I wasn't hitting f5 on FedEx tracking or anything. I guess the email I got that said fulfilled meant they placed the order with their distributor... Maybe they had it in store with someone interested and sold it and thought they could backfill before I showed up... I don't know...

If it was a $2k gun they listed at $200 because they missed a decimal, yeah, I get it, cancel the sale. Even if they had it for $1900 and realized they couldn't or oops wrong item they discounted- fine cancel the sale. If they said it came with 30 mags instead of 3, yeah typo, cancel it and start over. But 2 mags instead of the stated 3 is a materially different offer that seemed reasonable. Especially with the billions of dollars research, development, and executive martinis that solicit a $50 each price tag.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

rentprop1 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:22 pm I think you should
1. Stop shopping at Shoot Straight
2.. Its only $3
3. Contact the actual manufacturer and tell them that a dealer is shaving a MAG off the top they will probably send you one for free.

At my shop I don't care what your tracking says your firearm is available for pickup once we receive it and actually have time to log it into our system then it is available to you.... I really try my best to make it available same day.

If we're not super busy I like to open packages in front of the customer so they see exactly how it was sent to us so I can get out of the middle.

Sometimes a deal is not a deal, you can't hold an entire Corporation responsible because and IT guy or a Salesman fat fingered the number of accessories.... would you really expect a car dealer to give you a vehicle for 16000 when it was supposed to read 46....they would tell you pound sand if you pressed.

A lot of times special buys and seasonal specials come with less accessories so they can offer them for a discounted price, a lot of times it's simply a cardboard box instead of a nice plastic box, but look at the stribog as an example they keep including mags and keep raising the price.

There's always Google, Yelp, and Facebook reviews if you truly feel you have been cheated but prepare for the ribbing that you may receive
Regardless Rent is on point with this one you can write a review and move on. I think you should have done your homework and check the gun over yourself before signing the paperwork does it look good? Does it have 3 mags? I think this is a good learning lesson for you and that is how people learn regardless if it's right or wrong.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

rentprop1 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:35 pm I don't care how the customers look at it, the state charges the $ 5 we are merely collecting that for them....they allow dealers to charge whatever price ( up to $ 8 to conduct that check )......the transfer fee you pay the shop is for the paperwork of accepting your firearm, dealing with customers B.S. helping you open the box, showing you how to make it work :roll: , answering your stupid questions about who makes the best holster etc.....not the BGC. usually we are giving something in return, like our time, if you can't correctly fill out the 4473 in a timely manor, or make mistakes and have to start over, who pays for that, you want shops to raise transfer prices ??

if UBC passes, watch what transfer fees jump too, you couldn't imagine that hassle :mrgreen:
Not criticizing how you run your business, I'm just confused at the whole reasoning behind the add-on.

I get that it takes work to sell and transfer a gun, and that it's only $3. I would assume, however, that all of that overhead is taken into account in the retail markup just like in any other retail business. For outside transfers, it makes sense to charge a higher transfer fee, as all you are doing is providing a service with no profit-generating sale. But if it's a retail sale, why not just incorporate those $3 worth of costs in the price of the gun? 🤔
Last edited by flcracker on Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I’ve heard of this before, especially with the low, low cost on line dealers. A few years ago, [not sure about now] a century Draco from Century would ship with 3 mags. But from the on line dealer, they shipped with 2 mags. And were advertised that way. To beat everyone else’s price, they removed one mag which was sold to make the extra $10. That’s just life in the competitive on line world. All the FFL’s where I work only charge $5 for the BGC. GARY.
Taco

Post by Taco »

N4KVE wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:28 am I’ve heard of this before, especially with the low, low cost on line dealers. A few years ago, [not sure about now] a century Draco from Century would ship with 3 mags. But from the on line dealer, they shipped with 2 mags. And were advertised that way. To beat everyone else’s price, they removed one mag which was sold to make the extra $10. That’s just life in the competitive on line world. All the FFL’s where I work only charge $5 for the BGC. GARY.
They advertised it as 3 mags and sold it with 2? Or they advertised it as 2, everyone else sold it as 3, and they were able to undercut the competition by offering a reduced package?

If it is the first, that is the situation I am in- it was (and still is when I pulled it up this morning) advertised as 3, arrived with 2. I didn't assume it was 3 and it was 2- it says 3. I was not handed the package for inspection until after the BGC was done, and the register receipt was put in the bag.

I can't believe everyone's answer is caveat emptor... It's like if I go to a gas station and they say Gas $2/gallon Black Friday Doorbuster! I go, pay at the pump, pump my gas and I see it pump 20 gallons? Tank is only 18 gallons... I go inside and ask... Oh, the Black Friday gas is sold in increments of .9 of a gallon... I point to the sign that says $2/gallon. They say oh yeah, that, oops, but anyway $2/.9 gallons is still a deal as gas price is regularly more... I let them know that is not what I ordered, they say I can sell back the gas, but now that it is used they can only pay pennies on the dollar.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Taco wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:45 am I can't believe everyone's answer is caveat emptor...
I can't believe you're still going on about this but here we are. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Taco

Post by Taco »

lakelandman wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:07 am
Taco wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:45 am I can't believe everyone's answer is caveat emptor...
I can't believe you're still going on about this but here we are. :lol: :lol: :lol:
All I want is what I bought or a refund, I don't think it is unreasonable. You better believe I'm prepared to spend 6 Saturdays picketing (city codes took a bit to locate, but seems the rules are defined [you wouldn't believe how many rules they have against all sorts of weird stuff]) out front of the shop...

Of course, that is a dozen steps down the line, not setting fire to bridges, we're still at the friendly stage, and I'm giving them the opportunity to make it right. And I can be a good customer... While I am someone looking for a deal (cheap), I do spend more and purchase more than most casual gun owners with an old six-shooter and pappys old Winchester.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

lakelandman wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:07 am
It's the principle of the matter.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Taco wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:45 am
They advertised it as 3 mags and sold it with 2? Or they advertised it as 2, everyone else sold it as 3, and they were able to undercut the competition by offering a reduced package?
It was advertised as 2 mags. Just because Century sends them out with 3 mags doesn’t mean the seller FFL has to. I once worked a show for a small FFL, where Century tossed in a free Romy drum for each Romy built gun purchased from Century. As we set up, he removed the drums from the guns, & kept them by the paperwork. They were all sold for a very fair price. Just because Century had a special deal where a drum shipped free with every AK purchased, there is no obligation to give a free drum to anyone who purchased an AK from a FFL. Besides, the drums were gone long before the AK’s sold. GARY
Last edited by N4KVE on Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

the 2 and the 3 are right next to each other on the keyboard, so you'd have to at lease understand how a mistake could happen.
as stated earlier lots of special buys come with reduced accessories

I doubt if you checked and only saw 2 mags at the store, you would still understand why it wasn't 3 no matter how long they explained it to ya. ...and thus taking more time away from their day, and my point earlier....

Id welcome a picketer, because after about a min Id either toss your ass out into traffic or get the hose out and make it rain on you ass ,all live on FB or IG too , while commentating/telling my side of the story.....