$8 Background Check?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Joecruiser
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:00 am
Location: Coral Gables

Post by Joecruiser »

NorincoKid wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:26 am
If a shop wants to take advantage of a promotional deal, whether it be BOGO, extra magazines, a free drum or whatever, thats on them. They use their money, it becomes their inventory, they can do as the please with it.
I would think not. It can also be construed as false advertising....classic bait and switch.

My point is, if using the Taurus BOGO offer, a manufacturer adds an incentive to move a product..BOGO, drum, extra mag, free gimme cap and T...whatever.

The dealer (FFL), being an authorized Taurus dealer has to honor the promotion. Period.
So you buy one...get the other free in the above example.

If you're a mom and pop dealer that acquired new old stock Tauruses from another source..and are not an "authorized" dealer...then you obviously toss out anyone bitching at your store about a free Taurus...or mag.
aka: Dolfan

User avatar
NorincoKid
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:40 pm
Location: Spring Hill, Hernando County

Post by NorincoKid »

Joecruiser wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:00 pm
The dealer (FFL), being an authorized Taurus dealer has to honor the promotion. Period.
So you buy one...get the other free in the above example.
"Authorized Dealer" has little to do with promotional deals from a distributor or wholesaler


If Lipseys has a deal for a free drum with an AR15 , and a dealer purchases it to put in their inventory, they are by no means "bound" to include the drum in the sale of that rifle. They purchased a rifle and a drum. What they do with those two separate items is their prerogative.

None of that has anything to do with the manufacturer.

If Glock (Manufacturer) started adding an extra "bonus" mag to all the Gen5's that ship starting tomorrow, should every dealer should have to purchase extra magazines to add to every preexisting Gen5 Glock they have in stock prior to that?.

User avatar
SteyrAUG
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:17 am

Post by SteyrAUG »

At first is was $8, then it changed to $5 and a lot of shops didn't pay attention or simply didn't want to change their advertising.

For those claiming "fraud", most shop have a blanket "background check / transfer" service and they usually charge $25 to $35.

Another thing to consider, if they are just charging a background check and not any kind of transfer service, well then the state of Florida considers that a "retail sale" and they will want their sales tax. So it's typically cheaper to do things as a transfer because sales tax will likely be more than $3.

Also some of you guys, if you are really worried about being scammed for $3, it's no wonder a gun shop can't stay in business trying to offer "good guy" prices. The guys working on the thin profit margins are the ones you want to be supporting.

Taco
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:00 pm
Location: Clermont

Post by Taco »

SteyrAUG wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:45 am
Also some of you guys, if you are really worried about being scammed for $3, it's no wonder a gun shop can't stay in business trying to offer "good guy" prices. The guys working on the thin profit margins are the ones you want to be supporting.
Are you really not worried about deceptive or dishonest sales practices? What if they decided to collect a 3% environmental impact fee on ammo purchases to dupe people who don't know any better? I'd much rather give my money to an honest and upfront shop. Ends up, in this case, I was wrong, so no harm. It's why I asked.

Molivo
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Post by Molivo »

I'll tell you what a lot of people are going to be in for a rude awakening when UBC goes through which is almost inevitable certainty at this point....

Molivo
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Post by Molivo »

NorincoKid wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:48 pm
Joecruiser wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:00 pm
The dealer (FFL), being an authorized Taurus dealer has to honor the promotion. Period.
So you buy one...get the other free in the above example.
"Authorized Dealer" has little to do with promotional deals from a distributor or wholesaler


If Lipseys has a deal for a free drum with an AR15 , and a dealer purchases it to put in their inventory, they are by no means "bound" to include the drum in the sale of that rifle. They purchased a rifle and a drum. What they do with those two separate items is their prerogative.

None of that has anything to do with the manufacturer.

If Glock (Manufacturer) started adding an extra "bonus" mag to all the Gen5's that ship starting tomorrow, should every dealer should have to purchase extra magazines to add to every preexisting Gen5 Glock they have in stock prior to that?.
What he said.

Molivo
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Post by Molivo »

Wakko wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:11 am
Different shops have such wildly different policies and procedures. Despite being 25 miles away from me, I've dealt with Advanced Firearms in Margate almost exclusively for many years. They used to charge me $15 plus $5 BGC and $5 for each additional item. They open the box in front of you and you can see that they're not palming anything or "oops, it must have dropped before it got here..." I bought a Beretta M9A3 from them and went back a couple months later for something else. Owner says "Oh, glad you're back...you forgot your box here for the Beretta, so I've saved it for you." I was impressed.

Twice I tried a closer shop, once was Eagle in Delray and the other was Palm Beach Shooting Organization in Lantana. Eagle has a clever bait and switch (ish) policy where they tell you that xfers are cheap, but that's only if they don't sell that manufacturer in store. For example, Buy a Tokarev and it may be $20 + $5. Buy a Winchester M1 Carbine or a Walther PPK and they'll say "Oh, we sell Winchester and Walther products, so it's $30 each for transfer." The ONE time I did actually use them was for an 870 and a stripped Garand receiver. Dude writes up the 870 on the 4473 then hands me the Garand receiver and says "Here. This doesn't need to go on the 4473." "Uh, yeah it does." "No, it's not legally a firearm." As tempted as I was to just walk out of there with it, I no mess with the alphabet boys that couldn't be FBI, so I insisted that it was required to be on the 4473. I've never been back.

PBSO is a nice shop, no issues, cheap transfers. It was weird to have them hand me the shotgun I bought without a box or anything, even though it was clearly shipped in one. I'd go back if I needed to.

I was at Advanced last week and the Xfer prices are up to $25 plus $10 each additional, plus the $5. They told me that their in store sales are way down, as everyone buys online nowadays, and they need to keep the lights on. I'm AOK with it and will continue to go there. Customer service and integrity are key, and they have both.

/soapbox
There was/is a shop in Okeechobee that charged 75$ + 10% of the transferred firearms value. No clue if its still there or open.

Im still waiting for the FSN member who told me he was getting his FFL so he could do 5$ transfers to do it. Maybe he changed his mind after i explained hed have to do like 200 a year just to cover his cost of having an ffl. And that was like 4-5 years ago.

User avatar
Skoll
Posts: 868
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:39 pm
Location: New Mexico, formerly WPB

Post by Skoll »

Molivo wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:16 am
Wakko wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:11 am
Different shops have such wildly different policies and procedures. Despite being 25 miles away from me, I've dealt with Advanced Firearms in Margate almost exclusively for many years. They used to charge me $15 plus $5 BGC and $5 for each additional item. They open the box in front of you and you can see that they're not palming anything or "oops, it must have dropped before it got here..." I bought a Beretta M9A3 from them and went back a couple months later for something else. Owner says "Oh, glad you're back...you forgot your box here for the Beretta, so I've saved it for you." I was impressed.

Twice I tried a closer shop, once was Eagle in Delray and the other was Palm Beach Shooting Organization in Lantana. Eagle has a clever bait and switch (ish) policy where they tell you that xfers are cheap, but that's only if they don't sell that manufacturer in store. For example, Buy a Tokarev and it may be $20 + $5. Buy a Winchester M1 Carbine or a Walther PPK and they'll say "Oh, we sell Winchester and Walther products, so it's $30 each for transfer." The ONE time I did actually use them was for an 870 and a stripped Garand receiver. Dude writes up the 870 on the 4473 then hands me the Garand receiver and says "Here. This doesn't need to go on the 4473." "Uh, yeah it does." "No, it's not legally a firearm." As tempted as I was to just walk out of there with it, I no mess with the alphabet boys that couldn't be FBI, so I insisted that it was required to be on the 4473. I've never been back.

PBSO is a nice shop, no issues, cheap transfers. It was weird to have them hand me the shotgun I bought without a box or anything, even though it was clearly shipped in one. I'd go back if I needed to.

I was at Advanced last week and the Xfer prices are up to $25 plus $10 each additional, plus the $5. They told me that their in store sales are way down, as everyone buys online nowadays, and they need to keep the lights on. I'm AOK with it and will continue to go there. Customer service and integrity are key, and they have both.

/soapbox
There was/is a shop in Okeechobee that charged 75$ + 10% of the transferred firearms value. No clue if its still there or open.

Im still waiting for the FSN member who told me he was getting his FFL so he could do 5$ transfers to do it. Maybe he changed his mind after i explained hed have to do like 200 a year just to cover his cost of having an ffl. And that was like 4-5 years ago.
When I was in my early 20s I thought about going the kitchen FFL route too until I sat down and actually did the numbers. Uncle Sam really doesn't make it easy.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."

neverenoughguns
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:10 pm
Location: Holiday

Post by neverenoughguns »

Molivo wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:12 am
I'll tell you what a lot of people are going to be in for a rude awakening when UBC goes through which is almost inevitable certainty at this point....
Hope you are wrong on this one...

User avatar
rentprop1
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:05 pm
Location: West Central FL
Contact:

Post by rentprop1 »

neverenoughguns wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:17 pm
Molivo wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:12 am
I'll tell you what a lot of people are going to be in for a rude awakening when UBC goes through which is almost inevitable certainty at this point....
Hope you are wrong on this one...
Just wait till the next shooting which will probably occur closer to the election time and you will see it pushed very heavily

Post Reply