Advice on buying a cheap car for a couple months only

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Joecruiser

Post by Joecruiser »

+1 on getting a Toyota. You can get a 2008-10 Corolla for your price range.
Safe, economical, reliable, seats 5, big trunk....and you can flip it quickly.
aka: Dolfan
Casual

Post by Casual »

Lastrites wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:27 pm Find an old toyota, you will be able to flip it easy.
93 Camry with 1.2 mil miles. . Still probably a good buy for the situation
Wolfdog

Post by Wolfdog »

Almost anything out there with 100 thousand miles on it will do you well, so long as is not a rebuilt(nothing wrong with a rebuilt vehicle so long as done correctly, but that is not that commen), or totally beat/ not mantained at all. If you truly do plan on selling after your car is fixxed stay away from manual trans as that cuts off about 85 percent of potential buyers.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Wolfdog wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:06 am stay away from manual trans as that cuts off about 85 percent of potential buyers.
It’s also a great deterrent to car theives, as most can’t drive a stick. LOL. GARY
Wolfdog

Post by Wolfdog »

N4KVE wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:34 am
Wolfdog wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:06 am stay away from manual trans as that cuts off about 85 percent of potential buyers.
It’s also a great deterrent to car theives, as most can’t drive a stick. LOL. GARY
Yep
AirForceShooter

Post by AirForceShooter »

Older Toyota Pick up.

AFS
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

2002 Lexus/Yota. They sell cheap because the paint during that period of time was crappy and they usually have skin cancer that does not actually drill all the way down to rust.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
TippyRacer

Post by TippyRacer »

All replies are much appreciated. I was generally hoping for more advice along the lines of "hey dumb-ass, you didn't account for __________ , and then you will have to pay for __________ !" But suggestions are welcome too.
I know it's a thing where some folks, when traveling on business or other reasons and have to stay in a remote location for a couple months, will buy a car for their duration, then sell it when they leave. If anyone here has had to live in another state for a few months (oil jobs, or training jobs, etc) I'd love to hear if you did that and it worked out, or didn't work out, like you'd hoped.
I know nothing, and I can prove it.
TippyRacer

Post by TippyRacer »

Wolfdog wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:06 am If you truly do plan on selling after your car is fixxed stay away from manual trans as that cuts off about 85 percent of potential buyers.
See, this is good stuff that might be obvious but I didn't account for. I did specifically mention I wanted a manual trans just for fun, since it's going to be a bit of a throwaway/temporary car. But you're right! I have now just limited my potential buyer's pool.
But I may just buy a manual anyways, just cause :roll: :D
TippyRacer

Post by TippyRacer »

NorincoKid wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:41 pm Not manual trans, but a retired P71 might make for a fun short-term , family friendly vehicle. They can usually be had pretty cheap, and probably not hard to unload when your'e done with it for minimal loss.
I would have never thought Crown Vic, nor do I really want to drive one even short term, BUT ... that was actually a really clever suggestion in a way that you wouldn't have known, and I wouldn't have thought of.
It's a common mod in the vintage Ford truck community to use Crown Vic's as donor vehicles. You take the whole front clip- suspension, power brakes, power steering, engine, even a/c, and graft it onto a 60's/70's F100 to get a lowered, awesome handling, reliable running restomod of a truck.
Hmmm, would have never thought of that option. I'd use it, but never sell it. I'd sacrifice it to the gods of hot rod trucks :idea: