What happens if you buy a can, and the shop closes?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Taco

What happens if you buy a can, and the shop closes?

Post by Taco »

I was in a shop the other day and a guy was there picking up a suppressor. He said it was 5 months for approval... Got me thinking, lots of places in that plaza have come and gone. What happens if ATF approval has a longer wait than a stores shelf life?
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

Transferred to a different store I think
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

That happened with my first can - don't remember the name of the place but it was up on North Nebraska Ave. in Tampa maybe 15-ish years ago. The owner of the business gave me a call right after they shut down and assured me that he would take care of things (he had fired the guy who was running the gun shop for him, shut the place down, and closed out the books). When my can arrived, he called me to come meet him at the shop. The books were in such a disarray, he could not find a copy of my paid receipt in his files or his invoice for what he had paid Gemtech for the can. Thankfully, since he was the FFL, he had kept the ATF paperwork at another location (the guy owned multiple businesses).

I showed him my copy of the receipt, then he called Gemtech to find out what it had cost him wholesale. He then said that for my troubles, he would give me the can at his cost but he had no cash to offer me so I could take the difference (about $90) in merchandise. I walked out of there with almost 2000 rounds of S&B 22LR in a wooden case and we were both happy.

It would be nice to think that all businessmen were this honest and focused on their customers' satisfaction, but I don't live in a fantasy world. I bet there are horror stories out there about this.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

it happens all the time, if they do the right thing, they cancel your Form 4, in advance of closing, Form 3 the can to another shop, you will get your $ 200 back and start all over again, with new paperwork at a different shop.

if they just close and disappear, sucks for you.

I suggest you buy from a reputable dealer who has been in the can game a while and didn't jump on the bandwagon. A lot of dealers don't understand the SOT game and get in too deep then don't wanna pay that $ 500 or $1000 yearly for the tax, can sales have dropped off this year worse than the idiots who waited for the HPA.
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

If you Efile a from 1 and build your own Can(tons of quality kits out there) you’ll have your stamp in hand in 1-2 months if you don’t want to risk it or wait 6-10 months for a form 4
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

JonathanW wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:51 pm If you Efile a from 1 and build your own Can(tons of quality kits out there) you’ll have your stamp in hand in 1-2 months if you don’t want to risk it or wait 6-10 months for a form 4
till the ATF investigates and finds out you possessed the parts prior to filing the Form 1 :shock:

they started with Amazon cracking down on these solvent traps ..... only a matter of time before its bumpstock #2
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

rentprop1 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:56 pm
JonathanW wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:51 pm If you Efile a from 1 and build your own Can(tons of quality kits out there) you’ll have your stamp in hand in 1-2 months if you don’t want to risk it or wait 6-10 months for a form 4
till the ATF investigates and finds out you possessed the parts prior to filing the Form 1 :shock:

they started with Amazon cracking down on these solvent traps ..... only a matter of time before its bumpstock #2
As long as the baffles and end cap are not drilled you are good to go right? Not being a smartass lol, just asking from what i have read on a fb chat.
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

We have entire forums and and Facebook groups dedicated to the topic of form 1 suppressors. Thousands, if not tens of thousands of people have done this process without issue including me. The only people who have issues have been people making parts (drilling baffles) prior to approval. Until that point it is 100% legal to own the solvent traps. Amazon is a private company and they didn’t want to sell those items so they stopped when they caught on, I haven’t seen an report stating the ATF was harassing them. The big fuss atf made was regarding the Glock auto-sears they sold.

If one was concerned about that though, they can just wait until approval then buy everything they need. 100% non-issue. Form 1 suppressor has been one of the fastest growing markets for NFA items due to being able to have a quality easy to make suppressor in a single month compared to extremely long wait if a form 4. There’s literally dozens of vendors that sell the kits without issue, the ones that had issues abused the rules and then got caught such as one building kits on a military base machine shop(using government machines) then building unregistered suppressors for his buddies.

JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

Cubanstang50 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:02 am

As long as the baffles and end cap are not drilled you are good to go right? Not being a smartass lol, just asking from what i have read on a fb chat.
Yes correct, until it can actually function as a suppressor or parts have been drilled then it’s not a suppressor, it remains a solvent trap, barrel shroud, storage cups, paper weights. If you have extra parts when you get approval then that’s a big no-no (spare baffles) or you drilled a hole in a through a cup before approval. Stick to the basic rules and you won’t have an issue.