Glock Finger Strikes Again...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Dr. Dickie

Post by Dr. Dickie »

Taco wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:58 am
Dr. Dickie wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:47 am
Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:35 am

Read again: However, all gun holders — licensed or not — may transport a gun or another weapon only if it is securely encased, such as in a glove compartment, snapped in a holster, or in a gun case, said Will Farrugia, a firearms instructor with the Florida Firearms Training in Deerfield Beach.

All gun holders, licensed or not...only if it is securely encased.

Wrong.

Again, I think the "reporter" did some creative editing.
That is correct, ALL gun owners, licensed or not, can carry a gun in their car so long as it is securely encased, That is the law.
IF you have a CCW, you can carry it concealed.
He worded it poorly, but for TV sound bites, you can't explain the details.
The word 'only' is what the other posters have a problem with, as folks with CCWs can carry while driving. I think it's nit-picky and likely sloppiness by a reporter who didn't realize how intricate she had to be... You know, when talking about one of those fully semi automatic gun pistol Glock firearms.
Still not incorrect, ALL gun owners can carry in car ONLY if encased.
If you are speaking of what ALL gun owners can do, then they can carry in their car ONLY if it is encased.
Sure, some gun owners can carry concealed and do not have to have it encased, but that is not what ALL guns owners can do.
I guess you could get picky and say he should have said, ...all LEGAL gun owners...
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Read number 17:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 0.001.html

(17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Jimmy wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:48 am Read number 17:

(17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
That's directed at non-CCW holders...
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:35 am

That's directed at non-CCW holders...
You are 100% correct. But there seems to be some confusion in earlier posts as to what securely encased means. Clearly this includes snapped in a holster even if that holster is sitting on your dashboard, which btw, I would not recommend.

BUT....you COULD if you wanted to.....
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Jimmy wrote:Read number 17:

(17)[EM SPACE]“Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
Center console or glove compartment with no holster is legal.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

dammitgriff wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 pm

(17)[EM SPACE]“Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
The semi-colon is your friend... 8-)
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Dr. Dickie

Post by Dr. Dickie »

Yeah, I think the idea is, the person can not say, "I just snapped, and the next thing I knew the gun was in my hand and he was dead."
If you are required to do some "action" before the gun is accessible, hard to claim you did not know what you were doing.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

So is a gun in a cigar box (with a lid) sitting on your passenger seat.
Bmup

Post by Bmup »

Jimmy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:17 am

I believe an old, greasy McDonald's take out bag would meet all the requirements as well. :D
"Biden/Fetterman 2024 - It's a No Brainer!"

"No society ever thrived because it had a large group of parasites living off those who produce." - Dr. Thomas Sowell
Taco

Post by Taco »

Bmup wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:13 am
Jimmy wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:17 am

I believe an old, greasy McDonald's take out bag would meet all the requirements as well. :D
If you were to roll the top of the bag tightly closed, but not in an open bag. Crown Royal bag is a no-go, as it was ruled you can operate the trigger through the closed bag.

This is not something that you should get cute with. Several years ago we had a board member get arrested and charged, costing him many thousands in lawyers fees. I believe the story was the firearm was in a retention holster in the back seat, and the argument was if it was indeed snapped at the time (differing accounts). I believe it was eventually resolved due to it being not readily accessible in the back seat, so the snap wasn't an issue, but it was definitely life-disrupting and could have gone the other way if he pulled a bad judge.