GFCI Outlet - I'm going crazy!

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Flame Red

GFCI Outlet - I'm going crazy!

Post by Flame Red »

I have replaced about a hundred GFCI outlets over the years and I never had a problem, and now I am totally stumped.

I bought three new ones, two different types. First one was to replace one in a bath that would not trip/reset anymore. I move the wires from the old one to the new one one wire at time so it would be hard for even me to screw up. I am very sure I did not mix up load side verses line side.

After I was done, I turn back on the power. I test the outlet by tripping and resetting the outlet. So far so good. What ever I plug into the GFCI outlet itself works properly. If I test it, the power goes out to whatever is plugged into the outlet when it trips. And when I reset whatever I have plugged into the outlet itself goes back on. So that is ok.

Problem is the down stream outlets I have hooked up to the "load" screws. They never get any power. I put a VOM on the load screw never show power. I see power on the line side. VOM sees power to the outlet prongs themselves when it is not tripped.

Outlet also has a self test and the light goes green when the power is first turned on, and yellow when tripped.

So I figure I got a defective new GFCI. So I pull out another one - the other manufacturer, and it does the same exact thing! No power ever to the "load" screws.

I install the third and same thing!

If I put a wire nut and tie the load wire to the line wire, I get power to the down stream outlets, but of course they are no longer GFCI protected!

Any ideas what is going on before I have to cave and call an electrician? I doubt I could get 3 defective ones in a row.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Ok I finally figured it out.

These new GFCI must have some computer logic built into them now. My VOM showed infinite resistance from the line screw and the load screw.

I let it sit for a while and it changed to a few ohms resistance. Now the downstream outlets work. Seems to take some time to send power to the load lines while the outlet in immediate after reset.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

Glad I could help :lol: LOL
I'll tell you what rule we applied sir.
We applied rule 303.
We caught them and we shot them under rule 303!

Harry "Breaker" Morant
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

I spent 1.5 hours one day recently, troubleshooting a 3-way switch. I'm not an amateur, having wired several homes myself.

No matter which way I flipped either 3-way switch, my contact tester (as shown below) indicated power at the light's junction box.

Changed one switch...same. Change both switches...same. Went to Lowe's and bought two more switches...installed...same!

#$%&*@$!!!

I went to my truck and got out the voltmeter...meter read "0.00" at the junction box.

???

It turns out my contact tester was detecting "phantom power" from another live wire that ran alongside the lighting wire.

What an idiot. :roll:

Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I'm getting ready to start working on the wiring in my R/V and try to figure out why my inverter or whatever it might be causes my lights to be dim,hooked up to shore power,and by NO means am I any kind of an electrician,so this should be good,LOL. I was a welder/ironworker , get a bigger fuckin' hammer ready,hahahahaha.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !