Michael Drejka Convicted Of Manslaughter In Infamous Parking Lot Shooting

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lakelandman

Michael Drejka Convicted Of Manslaughter In Infamous Parking Lot Shooting

Post by lakelandman »

Back in July 2018, a deadly encounter occurred in a gas station parking lot. The outcome was a man shot and killed, and an armed citizen facing criticism and eventually charges.

Now, just a few hours ago, a jury came back with a guilty verdict after just over 6 hours of deliberation. The man found guilty, Michael Drejka, will next face sentencing.

The man killed, Markeis McGlockton, pushed Drejka to the ground after he was arguing with his wife over a handicapped parking spot. When Drejka fell to the ground, he produced his firearm and shot once, striking McGlockton in the chest. He later died from his injuries.

In the front row of the gallery, McGlockton’s girlfriend, Britany Jacobs threw up her hands and clapped. A woman broke into sobs. McGlockton’s father pressed his elbows into his knees as supporters squeezed his shoulder. His mother embraced family.

The entire shooting was captured on surveillance cameras, and gave jurors an almost perfect look at how things transpired.

Claiming self defense under Florida’s stand your ground law, it wasn’t deemed appropriate action to shoot, under the circumstances, by the jury.

From the very beginning, I had questioned the use of deadly force in this case, saying;

I can’t say what I would have done for certain but if I felt that my life was in danger, I would have drawn my firearm just as Drejka did. But if the threat was backing up after my firearm was drawn, I would pause and try to take control of the situation to make the threat get out of my immediate area.

http://concealednation.org/2019/08/brea ... KQ5nWnLCXk
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Springfield

Post by Springfield »

lakelandman wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:59 amClaiming self defense under Florida’s stand your ground law, it wasn’t deemed appropriate action to shoot, under the circumstances, by the jury.
SYG says you must not instigate the altercation. He may have been in fear for his life, but he got that way because he started the altercation by harassing the girl in the parked car.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Excellent. Now he can police parking lots at Union. The "homies" are going to love him.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

The defendant was blindsided and knocked to the ground.
The thug stood over him, saying who knows what (no audio on the surveillance video).
The thug does back up as the defendant draws his gun, but you have no idea what the was saying to the defendant, again no audio.
The defendant has been attacked (fact), no one knows what the thug threatened to do (no audio).
The defendant's adrenaline is pumping, he makes a split second decision that he is in danger of death or serious injury; he decides to defend himself, draws, aims and fires.

Only the after the fact "armchair quarterbacks" have the option to watch the video time after time and decide the defendant was wrong in firing his pistol.

I bet the decision is overturned on appeal.
ParishM

Post by ParishM »

^^ this ^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

He had no business approaching people, especially "ghetto momma's" in sheet-hole parking lots and starting arguments with them. Skinny white guys don't do well in the hood. But, he wasn't worried about "baby daddy" showing up and defending Quinesha because he knew he was packing.

If you carry, don't talk sheet & rely on it as a back-up plan to save your skinny white trash ass when Mr. Bojangles decides to (rightfully so) kick your ass.

Guilty.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
TACC

Post by TACC »

I dont think this is getting overturned.

This guy brought this shit on himself.

All this, life ruined over a handicapped parking spot .

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

TACC wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:22 pm This guy brought this shit on himself.
A handicapped parking spot that he personally didn't need.

Idiot #1 should have kept his mouth shut and idiot #2 should have kept his hands off of idiot #1, in my opinion both are at fault.

When I was a little kid my momma told me to mind my own business, good advice then and good advice now.
ABOC

Post by ABOC »

One less parking spot cop and one dead shitholer... Sounds pretty darn positive to me.
The only way this could have turned better is if he had blasted the baby making machine too.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens" - Arnaud Amaury 1209
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Jeepsnguns wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:50 pm
TACC wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:22 pm This guy brought this shit on himself.
A handicapped parking spot that he personally didn't need.

Idiot #1 should have kept his mouth shut and idiot #2 should have kept his hands off of idiot #1, in my opinion both are at fault.

When I was a little kid my momma told me to mind my own business, good advice then and good advice now.
Sort of where I'm at. I'm not the parking lot police, I have better things to do with my time.

My Option A is almost always to attempt to leave the problem area, we only go to Option B if you prevent me from continuing with Option A.

I also don't get into screaming matches with welfare mommas who have 67 items in the express lane at the grocery store. I really don't care if somebody is stuffing merchandise down their pants at Wal Mart. I'm not getting paid to fix these problems, I have other stuff to do.