The A-10 Will Live On To 2030

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lakelandman

The A-10 Will Live On To 2030

Post by lakelandman »

The U.S. Air Force concluded a mass installation of new wings on the last of 173 A-10 Thunderbolt IIs, also known as the “Warthog.”

The mass overhaul completed this week consisted of 173 of the branch’s 282 Warthogs, and with the installation of the new wings, the aircraft is now able to keep flying until late in the 2030s, longer than previously expected, according to a press release by Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC) on Monday.

“Boeing received a $1.1 billion contract in 2007 to build replacement wings at its Macon, Georgia, plant, and work began in 2011,” the Air Force Times reported.

The Warthog has become a beloved aircraft due to its reliability in supporting ground troops with strong and effective firepower, in addition to its aesthetics.

“The Warthog’s signature BRRRTTTTT sound from its 30mm GAU-8/A cannon became a rallying cry of sorts, sparking countless memes and fan videos,” Air Force Times explained.

The upgraded wings should last for up to 10,000 flight hours without requiring a depot inspection, AFMC said. Additionally, the wings have an improved, newly designed wire harness to make the wings easier to remove and lessen the chance of damaging the wing during the removal process.

Lt. Col. Ryan Richardson, commander of the 514th Flight Test Squadron and an A-10 test pilot, flew the last A-10 to be re-winged on July 25 and declared it airworthy. That A-10 was from Moody Air Force Base in Georgia.

“It flew great and passed all the [functional check flight] checks,” Richardson said. “It’s unusual to have an airplane in production for as long as this one was and have it come out and fly as well as this one did.”

The 571st Aircraft Maintenance Squadron at the Ogden Air Logistics Complex at Hill Air Force Base in Utah installed the wings for 162 of the aircraft, while 10 were serviced as Ogden Air Force Base, and 11 at Osan Air Base in South Korea.

Gen. Mike Holmes, head of Air Combat Command, said, “As far as exactly how many of the 280 or so A-10s that we have that we’ll maintain forever, I’m not sure. That will depend on a Department of Defense decision and our work with Congress, but we plan to maintain the A-10 into the 2030s at least.”

With its ability to fly close to the battlefield and its unique Gatling gun that delivers tank-piercing rounds, the A-10 is popular with troops. Air Force leadership has argued in the past that it’s best to retire the A-10 to save money, but there are a lot of proponents in Congress who want to keep it around.

The A-10 Thunderbolt II has been in production since 1972 and more than 700 units have been built.
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/0 ... osf6KlyqG8
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

How fun it would be to build one and use it to buzz AntiFa protests... :lol:

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
ab4ka

Post by ab4ka »

That's awesome!!!
XenShooter

Post by XenShooter »

Here's a video of that A-10 model flying. I posted this to the "Non-threadworthy Video Thread" back in Oct 2018, so some of you may have seen it already.

Enjoy...
[youtube]iWZTTg0hEwI[/youtube]
~ Teufel Hunden
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

How f'ing great would it be to buzz a group of unwashed Liberal protesters with that @ 7 feet of altitude! :lol:
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

The A-10 should never be retired, because when you absolutely, positively have to instill immediate fear into the enemy, nothing says ‘I Love You’ like a 30mm to the head!

TheSurvivalist

Post by TheSurvivalist »

Awesome. The A-10 is my favorite plane. Glad to see it got a new lease on life.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

The Air Force has been attempting to "retire" this aircraft since the late 1980's.
Desert Shield/Storm saved the A-10 the first time in 1991.
But the Air Force keeps on trying to retire it, because they feel "Ground Support" is beneath them.
In the 1990's they claimed the F-16 could replace the A-10, and at this time, the Air Force thinks the F-35 will be a excellent "direct" replacement for the A-10.
No other existing jet in the US inventory can get down and dirty like the A-10.
If the Air Force no longer wants to be bothered with ground support, give the A-10's to the Marines and the Army.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Good Lord, a Marine in an A-10?!
That’d turn the whole Chinese army back into farmers!
XenShooter

Post by XenShooter »

dammitgriff wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:53 pm Good Lord, a Marine in an A-10?!
That’d turn the whole Chinese army back into farmers!
I like it!

We'll call it the A-10 Devilhog! :twisted:
~ Teufel Hunden