(Update, one year later, page 2) Had a self-defense situation the other night (non-human, no shot fired)

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Taco wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:09 pm The same dogs were back in my field today. I went out in an attempt to get them away from my donkeys and to go home.

One dog came over friendly and I petted it. The other dog attacked, barking and running at me. During the attack, I fired, killing the dog.
You gave the dogs and the owners more than enough chance. Did what had to be done. What did you use? Pistol, revolver or long gun? Type of round?

Also, hope you don’t mind but I mentioned your story on the SEP board in a thread about the wisdom of being armed in the woods. Your situation is a good example.

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=201
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
Taco

Post by Taco »

Deputydave wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:40 pm
Taco wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:09 pm The same dogs were back in my field today. I went out in an attempt to get them away from my donkeys and to go home.

One dog came over friendly and I petted it. The other dog attacked, barking and running at me. During the attack, I fired, killing the dog.
You gave the dogs and the owners more than enough chance. Did what had to be done. What did you use? Pistol, revolver or long gun? Type of round?

Also, hope you don’t mind but I mentioned your story on the SEP board in a thread about the wisdom of being armed in the woods. Your situation is a good example.

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=201

I didn't want to get into details- I survived, the dog didn't, but no one won. I also want to say, I didn't know whos dog it was, I knew generally what direction the dog came from based on the last interaction, but not all the dynamics involved. The family is a good family, an we've had many positive interactions through the years- even in difficult situations. They are not the best dog owners, but are good people. The owner is very upset about the situation, and I understand. I believe everyone else in the family at least understands how and why things went this way now that they had some time. While it is likely never going to be the same between us, I think we can still coexist.

I'll go over the gear, but I don't want it to be a celebration or debate on gear...
When I have to go into the field, or my shed where I may encounter a need, I put on my holster belt. It has a flashlight, a mag holder with a mag- top two rounds of that mag are 9mm snake-shot, and an Alien Gear OWB holster. The corisponding firearm is my 'nightstand' gun- (it was originally for competition,
but the place I was going stopped hosting and I never got back into competing- I am very comfortable with it). It is a Glock 19c, with a Viridian C5L-R light/laser combo set to strobe light solid laser and turns on automatically when removed from the holster. Trigger and internals have mostly been replaced with Zev Technology parts. It is kept loaded with a mag of 9mm 147gr Speer Bonded Hollow Point Ammo.

The owner's mother said she heard 3 shots. I found 4 shells when I walked to the area yesterday. It could have been more- it was very very fast. Since the incident, I have not checked the magazine. I know I'm not supposed to have emotions on a gun board on the internet, but I'm just not yet ready.

The owner's aunt (calm) who came over with the owner's mother (understandably very upset) found a bullet next to the body, and it had fully mushroomed- I was unable to locate it, I don't know if they kept it or tossed it somewhere. I didn't do a thorough inspection of the body, but in moving the dog it appeared there was a graze (did not penitrate) above it's left eye, and one round in the lungs that exited the other side.

After the incident, the owner's brother came home. I moved the dog to my truck and drove it over to their house and he and I buried the dog together.
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

As far as I know, any animal that is harrasing your stock is fair game. No warning or pictures required.

And if he comes at you all bent out of shape, you thought he might be rabid, so you put him down.

I have shot one local mutt on my property, that was growling at us. And one big cat that was in my tree.

Over the last 2 years or so, my son (next door) and I have been getting a couple of cows, horses, one pig, 5 goats. We had to put down a handful of pets and creatures (ours) that didnt get along: one German sheperd , the pig was biting little kids, my grey hound suffering from bone cancer, goat that was bit by friends dog, etc, etc. Our property is a virtual animal graveyard now.
But we are balanced now - everybody is free ranging, and they all get along.