(Update, one year later, page 2) Had a self-defense situation the other night (non-human, no shot fired)

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Taco

Post by Taco »

The same dogs were back in my field today. I went out in an attempt to get them away from my donkeys and to go home.

One dog came over friendly and I petted it. The other dog attacked, barking and running at me. During the attack, I fired, killing the dog.
Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

Taco wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:09 pm The same dogs were back in my field today. I went out in an attempt to get them away from my donkeys and to go home.

One dog came over friendly and I petted it. The other dog attacked, barking and running at me. During the attack, I fired, killing the dog.

Sucks man.

I had to shoot the dogs belonging to the neighbor behind me after a half a dozen times calling them and animal control.

They owned a brindle pit and a husky and had a kennel fence full gaping holes. The dogs would get out of their kennel and dig under my hog wire paddock fence to get in to the back 40. They'd kill all the chickens (50+), chase the horses around, and even attacked my pig.

The owners didn't give two shits about my animals or theirs, the even challenged me to prove it was even their dogs. After that I video taped them repeatedly. The owners went to court to pay fines 3 times, they never offered once to pay for my losses.

I had a thread on this in the old FSN.

The last encounter we had they chased my pig up to the house and cornered my kids. I wounded one dog and killed the other, called animal control, they dealt with it.

The neighbor had new dogs two weeks later and fixed the fence. Still never paid for damages. Next door neighbors on both sides also had history with the dogs attacking their pets and livestock.

I'd tried to get the drop on the dogs previously but I could never line the shot up or they would escape from my paddock before I could get out there.

They got really brave running up to the house the day I finally killed the dog.
Last edited by Big_mike on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
S&W collector

Post by S&W collector »

That sucks. No one ever wants to shoot a dog but you have to protect yourself and your livestock
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Taco wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:09 pm During the attack, I fired, killing the dog.
Good shoot.
Last edited by flcracker on Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
lilwoody

Post by lilwoody »

I was told by my wife's cattle raisins family in Georgia that donkeys are in very short supply up there because they give the coyotes hell.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Just saw this thread. This is where the old saying, 'any landing you can walk away from is a good landing'. Same principal here, any situation where you may have to or do draw your weapon and you walk away from unharmed and the situation is resolved was a successfully resolved situation. We can always go back and think 'I should have done this or that'. And that's natural and a good learning tool. And you learned a valuable thing about checking your six in case your ever in another situation that may call for it. And that experience may just save your life at a later date. But in the moment, when the adrenaline is up and we have only a second or two to make a decision we do the very best we can.

I've had a few family members attacked by dogs over the years. One now carries O.C. spray on her daily walks. My brother was attacked by a Rotty and had to shoot it. Fortunately, he always carries. I'm glad it all worked out well.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
macattack321

Post by macattack321 »

Take date/time-stamped pictures of the dogs on your property. After so many incidents (which can vary by city/county), you can file a report with the police, and the owner will get a ticket.

If you later have to defend yourself or livestock, there will be a police record of the dogs being an issue. You never know what story the dogs' owner will tell police, so CYA...
BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE »

+1 for P5 guy.
BIG JOE
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

My dogs will come and lick you into submission.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Yeah, get couple of game cameras on your yard to get pictures of the neighbor's dog intruding on your yard. There are $30 game cameras with good resolution and fast warm up. When you get a picture call the local LEO and file a complain about the neighbor's dog. Do this enough times so LEO will have history of complaints against the neighbor and their dog. You want to establish a history of complaints in case you have to take some drastic measures later.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.