Bump stocks down.....Guess what Trump will go after next...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Allme

Bump stocks down.....Guess what Trump will go after next...

Post by Allme »

Well he has suppressors in his sights, haven't heard about those in a few weeks... Looks like he may just have a new target... Reagan 2.0.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dayton-shoot ... 59889.html

Dayton shooter used a modified gun that may have exploited a legal loophole
USA TODAY Cameron Knight,USA TODAY 3 hours ago

CINCINNATI – Even though it looked like a rifle, the gun used to kill nine people and wound at least 14 more was likely classified as a pistol, skirting laws restricting short-barreled rifles.

Will the device on Connor Betts' weapon, called a "pistol brace," become the next bump stock in nation's gun control debate?

Here's what we know about the AR-15 style .223 caliber firearm used in the Dayton shooting Sunday:

It was legally purchased by Betts' from an online retailer in Texas. It then was transferred to him by a local firearms dealer who would be required to perform a background check, police said.
Nothing on Betts' criminal record would have prevented him from buying a gun.
He used legal-to-own 100-round drum magazines.
The lower receiver, which houses the trigger, was made by Anderson Manufacturing in Hebron, Kentucky. Under federal law, the lower receiver is the gun. Purchasing a lower receiver requires a background check. All other parts of guns, such as barrels and stocks, can be bought legally off the shelf or online.
Betts could have had as many as 250 rounds in his possession; he fired at least 41 rounds in about 30 seconds.

The latest on the Dayton shooting: Did Dayton gunman target his own sister? Idea 'defies believability,' police chief says

On Monday, Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl said Betts' gun was "modified in essence to function like a rifle" and "to avoid any legal prohibitions." He did not specifically cite a pistol brace, but photos of the weapon released by police show one.

The federal restrictions on short-barreled rifles were enacted to stop people from making rifles, guns fired from the shoulder, more concealable. Rifles typically can fire more powerful cartridges than pistols and shoulder stocks allow the rifles to be fired more accurately.

It is illegal to own a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16 inches without paying $200 for a National Firearms Act tax stamp and completing all the related paperwork and background checks. The process is similar to legally owning a fully automatic rifle.

It is unclear if Betts' went through this process, but the firearm he used did have a barrel shorter than 16 inches.

AR-15-style firearms can be rifles or pistols. A pistol can have a short barrel, but no shoulder stock. A rifle can have a shoulder stock, but the barrel must be 16 inches or longer.

Gun control: Mitch McConnell silent on calls for special Senate session on guns after El Paso, Dayton shootings

Enter the pistol brace, also known as a stabilizing brace. For all practical purposes, this device allows pistols with short barrels to have something resembling a shoulder stock.

Companies began marketing pistol braces in the early 2010s after getting approval letters from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The braces are designed to be strapped to the arm, allowing AR-15-style pistols to be more easily fired with one hand.

Many of these devices closely resemble shoulder stocks and can be used in that fashion, which raises another question for the ATF. If you put a pistol brace to your shoulder, does that turn your gun into something illegal?

Dayton, El Paso shootings: The guns used to kill dozens in Dayton and El Paso were legal – high-capacity options included

The ATF has gone back and forth on its answer. The agency has issued several open letters, which are not law but indications of how the agency plans to interpret the law.

In 2012, the ATF issued a letter saying braces could be attached to a pistol without turning the weapon into a short-barreled rifle.

In 2015, the agency said firing a pistol from the shoulder with a brace would not constitute a "redesign" and would require all the necessary paperwork and taxes.

When brace manufacturers sought more clarification, the ATF again appeared to change its stance in 2017. The ATF said "incidental, sporadic, or situation ‘use’ of an arm-brace" from the shoulder did not constitute a redesign, but taking "affirmative steps to configure the device" as a shoulder stock would, such as removing straps intended to wrap around the arm.

Dean Rieck, the executive director of the Buckeye Firearm Association, said trying to ban firearm components will not prevent the next mass shooting.

"After every shooting, we see the same pattern," Rieck said. "People have certain pet laws they want to see passed. You'll probably see various laws proposed."

In terms of pistol braces, Rieck said: "Things like that don't really make a difference. If your purpose is to harm people, that configuration is not ideal anyway."

Walmart won't stop selling guns: But in the wake of a mass shooting, some advocates say it should

After the Las Vegas mass shooting, Cincinnati and Columbus attempted to ban bump stocks, which can increase the rate of fire of a rifle. Rieck's association successfully blocked the bans by invoking Ohio's preemption rule, which stops cities from overriding state gun laws.

Chief Biehl has not said it he believes the short barrel and pistol brace assisted Betts in the killings, but he did take a stance on the level of firepower used in the attack.

Asked about the 100-round magazines, he said: "It’s problematic. It is fundamentally problematic. To have that level of weaponry in a civilian environment unregulated is problematic."

Follow Cameron Knight on Twitter: @ckpj99
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I don't think they'll go after braces simply because of the potential of a huge ADA lawsuit over it. It would be dumb of the 2A groups to not trot out disabled veterans to fight for that.

Drum mags on the other hand is anyones guess. We always lose rights after one of these, so I guess it's just a wait and see right now. The Dayton thing is slowly disappearing though because the shooter was a ultra leftist and that paints them all negatively and they don't like/want that. The narrative is right wing terrorism, not the left wing terrorism of the 70s returning to haunt us.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Skoll wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 am I don't think they'll go after braces simply because of the potential of a huge ADA lawsuit over it. It would be dumb of the 2A groups to not trot out disabled veterans to fight for that.

Drum mags on the other hand is anyones guess. We always lose rights after one of these, so I guess it's just a wait and see right now. The Dayton thing is slowly disappearing though because the shooter was a ultra leftist and that paints them all negatively and they don't like/want that. The narrative is right wing terrorism, not the left wing terrorism of the 70s returning to haunt us.
If you want to legally own a brace, cut off one arm. It was designed for a one arm person. If you want a pistol with a butt stock, buy a stamp. These should go the way of the bumpstock. A legal loophole, used to skirt the $200 stamp. Bye, bye brace. GARY.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

N4KVE wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:44 am
Skoll wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 am I don't think they'll go after braces simply because of the potential of a huge ADA lawsuit over it. It would be dumb of the 2A groups to not trot out disabled veterans to fight for that.

If you want to legally own a brace, cut off one arm. It was designed for a one arm person. If you want a pistol with a butt stock, buy a stamp. These should go the way of the bumpstock. A legal loophole, used to skirt the $200 stamp. Bye, bye brace. GARY.
Why should they go the way of the bumpstock? Why shouldn't people innovate and do loopholes around unjust laws? I shouldn't have to pay a tax if it pleases the crown to engage in my rights, and if there is a way I don't have to, I won't. I imagine the only reason the shooter DIDN'T use an actual stock is because he used the pistol configured as it came. If you're going to break the law anyway and murder people, why would you give half a shit about NFA?
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Thanks for finally exposing yourself Gary!

N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Any time. I’m proud of my stamps. GARY.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

N4KVE wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:44 amIf you want to legally own a brace, cut off one arm. It was designed for a one arm person. If you want a pistol with a butt stock, buy a stamp. These should go the way of the bumpstock. A legal loophole, used to skirt the $200 stamp. Bye, bye brace. GARY.
Wow. :shock:

Note to self:
Crutch/cane tip good. Flat triangle of plastic bad.

Got it. Thanks. :roll:
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

N4KVE wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:28 am Any time. I’m proud of my stamps. GARY.
Whatever you say Zumbo!

it IS comforting to know that when the time comes to get on the cattle cars we will have you there to help us old men get up the steps.
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

Maybe people don’t want to have to go get a permission slip to leave the state with their SBR, I’m English but that sounds like some real redcoat type stuff right there ^ :roll:

I have stamps but only on things that don’t require a permission slip to leave my state with it.
Taco

Post by Taco »

First, N4KVE, just because I have two arms doesn't mean I want to use both of them for just one pistol...

Second, everyone else, can we not cannibalize the community every time someone says something slightly off message? We need to be a welcoming community, full of diverse and friendly people. We're, gun owners as a block, doing a really poor job at expanding the demographics. We need the votes.