U-Pick auto yard Fort Lauderdale

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Ger42

U-Pick auto yard Fort Lauderdale

Post by Ger42 »

Anyone know the process? Cost to just get in? I know I have to remove the parts I want. I am looking a 2 front seats and a console. How do I get them to my truck?
Rchrd.miranda

Post by Rchrd.miranda »

Last time I used a upick there was a very minor entrance fee. They usually post some sort of inventory for you to see what they are offering but they will let you wander the yard. It changes fairly often. Usually have to provide your own tools. You can't bring acetylene torch etc. They use a fork truck to lift vehicles and then put their blocking under it to prevent things from falling on you and crushing your body. Bring a selection of SAE and metric tools. You never know what you may need.

good luck, Richard
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

Ger42 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:54 pm Anyone know the process? Cost to just get in? I know I have to remove the parts I want. I am looking a 2 front seats and a console. How do I get them to my truck?
If it's the one in Davie, there are 2 on 441, the u pull it has a 4 dollar entrance fee, and you can rent a wheelbarrow if you need one, or bring your own folding cart. They also don't have a list of vehicles, and you need your own tools to remove what you are getting.

The one to the south has a 3 dollar entrance, and has a better idea about what vehicles are on site. Seats are hit or miss, most of the vehicles are open to the elements. There are a few parts yards in Pompano or Opa Locka that pull interiors and store them inside. Also check craigslist and offer up for vehicles that are being parted out.
screenerglenn

Post by screenerglenn »

I went to the southern one recently. They were able to direct me to the exact models I was looking for. Side mirror, and read door mechanism for my older work vans, $42. Not bad.
patw

Post by patw »

I used to go all the time searching parts for cars I owned, when I was younger. It's amazing what you can find at great prices. I haven't been in quite a while but wear long pants and boots if you have them. Watch out for snakes as well. It's also not a bad idea to wear gloves and bring some hand cleaner. Bring as many tools as you can and leave them in your car until you find the part you need. Also, check any kind of info. on removing what you need/want prior to going in.
frenchkat

Post by frenchkat »

Technique I used a long time ago, not Florida, was to remove a hood or trunk lid and drag the tools and parts around in it.

Like a cart without wheels.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

The one in WPB supplies an engine hoist, or wheel barrow for free. I go all the time in the winter when it’s cooler looking for spare parts. GARY.