Never had a dog with cancer before :(

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
ab4ka

Never had a dog with cancer before :(

Post by ab4ka »

We've got three beagles, all adopted/rescued. The oldest one, whom we've had about 5 years, just hasn't been himself lately. I attributed it to getting old (he's around 13-15). The one thing he would do was eat. Sunday my wife decided there really was something wrong with him so Monday morning I took him to the vet.

After some xrays and a couple of tests the vet came back with a diagnosis of lymphoma. She went over all of the treatment options (mostly cost prohibitive), and after telling me what we could do, she said that if it was her dog she wouldn't do any of it and just try to make him as comfortable as possible. According to the paperwork she gave me, when a dog is diagnosed with lymphoma, left untreated he'll have maybe two months.

So, I brought him home and started the meds she gave me and he seems much more comfortable. We're feeding him extra well and my goal is to let him enjoy his last days as comfortably as possible. I'm not going to let him suffer, but neither am I going to put him down if he could just go easy and naturally. I think he's enjoying the potato chips I give him when the other two aren't looking.

This sucks. :(
Bmup

Post by Bmup »

It always sucks when a family member gets a terminal illness. You are doing what I & Mrs. Bmup would do though, sometimes there just isn't anything else you CAN do. I lost a lab/shepard mix this way many years ago & it hurt to watch him fade away.

Our sincerest condolences to you & your family.
"Biden/Fetterman 2024 - It's a No Brainer!"

"No society ever thrived because it had a large group of parasites living off those who produce." - Dr. Thomas Sowell
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

Sorry to hear about your pup! Never easy when one is in pain or losing one!
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

My sisters dog got cancer. It was horrible. They had enough compassion to handle it. Even though it hurt my bil and sister terribly. He was a great dog too.

His name was MAX and to watch him suffer in the beginning was horrible. They actually paid for treatment for him. My BIL Roddy was an ARMY RANGER and SHERIFF DEPUTY and he could not stay in the room with MAX while he was relieved of his suffering. He was crying to badly. My sister had to. That's the first time I've ever known him to cry.

You never go easy with cancer and neither do pets. You'll know when.

I really feel bad for you having to go through this. I've learned that your pets are your family.

Their son was able to bring back a dog from Afghanistan. They ended up with it. That dog is nuts :shock: . Really don't like that transplanted jihadist. :?

I have one and I know one day I'll be in your situation. :cry: she's my first dog since I was a kid. I use her as a therapy dog. Had her for 12 years now.

I don't take her in stores though or everywhere I go. But she knows when I'm about to get upset some how and will come over and put a paw on my leg, arm or chest and look me in my eyes. Like she's saying calm down. I have anger issues.

I have to be careful watching the NEWS and yelling at the TV.

Truely sorry for you brother. I feel really bad now. Wish I'd not went on line now.
Last edited by Firemedic2000 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

BTDT. Twice with a dog and a cat.

It aint easy, hang in there.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Yep, now is the time to feed him steak while he will eat food.

Wasn't cancer but I had a dog with renal failure and no good outcomes. Grilled up a bunch of burgers and steaks and fed him like a king as long as I could, part of the reasoning being to put some extra calories in reserve.

When he stopped eating it became a matter of good days or bad days and my goal was to give him every "good day" he had remaining in him. When it started to seem he had only difficult days with bad days ahead it was time to call the vet.

Thankfully at the time I had a vet who made house calls for such things so my buddy was taken care of in a familiar, comfortable environment and it also spared me "the drive."
joel

Post by joel »

Our family just lost a 3-yr-old kitten (3 years old but remained small like a kitten ~ Munchkin) and it hurt us badly.

She had cancer, and we paid to remove one of her back legs. Then, the cancer spread to her lungs and it was just a matter of time. She passed away two days ago, Monday morning...

Firemedic, I can relate to the dogs vs anger issue. My "boys" always have a way to calm me down. (we have six dogs now, so I "have to" walk four of them but I "get to" walk my two boys. Really calms me and, as you said, helps put things in focus)

I'm 62 years old now, and my temper can be short at times. (but, I'm a really nice guy. LOL)

Yes, losing one of your babies is hard... heartbreaking for the entire family.
tector

Post by tector »

Very sorry to hear this. Best to you all.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

One of my inlaws dog had cancer. They put him through treatment. He also went blind. Dont remember if the cancer had to do with it though. The cancer came back later on and i had to put him down. My fil didnt have the heart to do it. It was the first time i take a dog to be put down. I thought i could do it without crying. It broke my heart to watch him take that last breath and i cried. Hope your heals up and live a good life sir.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

My brother inherited a black lab puppy when his father-in-law died. Molly the lab game down with cancer and died before she was three years old. She was a great dog, loved swimming.
Don't let your dog suffer.