Never had a dog with cancer before :(

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
cj5mrt

Post by cj5mrt »

So sorry to hear this. My wife and I are fur-parents and know just what you're going through. Spoil him all you can.
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

My grey hound was diagnosed with bone cancer last fall. Big lump on front foot. Hated to remove a leg from a race dog, but i did.

After a month so, Milo was the happiest dog in town. Still the fastest one, too!

He is doing great now, but still not sure if all the cancer is gone.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

The vet told me it’s very common for it to return on dogs. Our cat had a big lump on his hind quarter. The lump was removed, & 4 years later all is well. But the vet said if he was a dog it would come back. We love our pets, & they are part of the family. He keeps my blood pressure low. GARY.
revelation

Post by revelation »

I am very sorry for the news. My Rhodesian Ridge back lost the battle to cancer. I was giving him apple cider vinegar pills trying to build a more alkaline bloodstream to keep the cancer at bay. That and a non wheat diet did add some happy years to his life, I think there are too many human chemicals, snacks and maybe even pesticides that an animal can't handle. I really sucks!
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell
speedweapon

Post by speedweapon »

We lost Elvis to spleen cancer 10 years ago. We now have Ringo and are a part of the:

https://www.morrisanimalfoundation.org/ ... dEQAvD_BwE

Two things about dogs.
unconditional love
someday they will break your heart
"Klaatu Barada Nikto"
ab4ka

Post by ab4ka »

We went back to the vet for a follow-up Saturday. The meds she prescribed (primarily the steroids) have definitely helped, but she said they will only help for so long. Best guess is he's got 3-6 months. So at this point my goal is to just make him happy...feed him junk food, let him sleep, walk him when he feels like it. As sad as it would be, I'm really hoping that one day he just goes to sleep and doesn't wake up. But if he doesn't, I know he'll let us know when he's ready to go.
ab4ka

Post by ab4ka »

Well, that didn't take long :cry: He stopped eating a couple of days ago and was clearly in distress so this morning we did what needed to be done.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Sorry for your loss.
It's hard to loose a dog after having them for years...it's one of the main reason why I don't have a dog right now after my 2 passed couple years ago.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
tector

Post by tector »

Very sorry, man. Almost all of us understand what you are feeling. Please take care.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

So sorry for your loss. :cry: