Remington 742 mag suggestion

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lilwoody

Remington 742 mag suggestion

Post by lilwoody »

Anyone ever use a 10 round mag for this rifle if so could you suggest a dependable one. I finally tuned the 742 in 308 I picked up a couple of years ago and got it very reliable with 165 grain and up ammo.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Triple K 10 round mags don't work very well and I'm not sure if anybody else made 10 round mags for them. From what I've seen on friend's 742 rifle, even when they work well they don't like to be fired rapidly as reliability suffers when they heat up.
Didn't Remington recall these rifles about 25 year ago?
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

I had one years ago.
Purty sure the mags were triple K.
The trick to making them work, if I recall, l was making sure the triple K mag release was used, instead of the stock one.
It was a very accurate rifle.
Due to the recoil, it being a fairly light rifle, it wasn't a fast firing gun anyway.
They were eventually replaced with the 7400, mebbe?
Rchrd.miranda

Post by Rchrd.miranda »

I do believe the magazines from the pump guns (series 760,7600 etc.) and the model six are interchangeable with the auto loaders. Just make sure you get the long action version. I picked up a 10 round mag from BassPro for a pump and remember being surprised the wrapper claimed it fir both. Granted it is a pump gun but I never had any problems.
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

742's etc weren't made to fire a lot of rounds. After several shots they will start stringing pretty bad. The receivers will also wear fast because they are hunting rifles not target/self defense or assault rifles.
Nowhere Mon

Post by Nowhere Mon »

I was never able to find a 10 rounder that would. At best it was used to carry and store ammo.