Rifle Shooter Rest Help

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
revelation

Rifle Shooter Rest Help

Post by revelation »

Thanks! I was hoping to maybe catch a 4th of July sale for zeroing some scoped rifles. They would be just .22 and .233 rifles. I would like it to be clamped in tight and not too light of a rest. There are a lot of choose from like Cladwell. I don't want to spend a ton of money but want to feel confident that the scope or red dot is accurate from 50 to 100 yards. Looking for any opinions. Once I know that the rifle is zeroed I can mark it and learn better trigger discipline plus using the turrets for windage and farther shooting with my sandbag. :D
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

Most/many bench shooters use 1) a front rest (sandbag will do fine) and 2) a rear bunny bag to hold the stock.

No need for silly things like lead sleds.

You tube must have videos.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

The main reason that most shooters don't use them is that it's damn frustrating to discover that your zero often shifts when you clamp your rifle in a rest. Those clamps/sleds are great for testing a rifle's repeatability by removing human error, but you will still likely need to rezero when you unclamp it and go to sandbags on the bench.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
TACC

Post by TACC »

I agree completely, but getting consistent hits at 100 yards from a 300 win mag gets tiresome on the shoulder . After using the rest to take up most of the recoil, fine tuning is a breeze and I can still use my shoulder the next day.

I think mine us s hyscore it works great because there us literally a piece of steel that hooks on the front of the concrete bench so there is literally zero recoil felt while using it.
flcracker wrote:The main reason that most shooters don't use them is that it's damn frustrating to discover that your zero often shifts when you clamp your rifle in a rest. Those clamps/sleds are great for testing a rifle's repeatability by removing human error, but you will still likely need to rezero when you unclamp it and go to sandbags on the bench.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I made my own version of this with 2 foam yoga blocks from walmart.com for $9.97
https://foamactionsports.com/product/fo ... coal-grey/
revelation

Post by revelation »

rentprop1 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:31 pm I made my own version of this with 2 foam yoga blocks from walmart.com for $9.97
https://foamactionsports.com/product/fo ... coal-grey/
Thanks for the idea! Have a safe machine gun shoot.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Dave P wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:55 am Most/many bench shooters use 1) a front rest (sandbag will do fine) and 2) a rear bunny bag to hold the stock.

No need for silly things like lead sleds.

You tube must have videos.
Dave has it right. Do not use anything hard as a front rest. Use something soft that will cradle the front of stock and absorb recoil, use bunny ears on the rear.

But using a 223/556 use a caldwell with the soft U shaped bags or sand bags with rabbit ears if you can't shoot or zero moa that way. Putting it in what ever won't matter. Plus when you shoulder it. You still have to fine tune it to your holding it.

Just relax breath sight, squeeze trigger and shoot. You'll do fine. Oh yeah use what ever ammo you plan on using to do what ever you have planned. Don't zero with 77 grain mk and use another round for whatever and expect the same results.

But don't strap it in a brace. As far as a high powered caliber. I've shot 50 cal rifles and they not kick bad at all about like a 308. It just depends how they are setup. So if your 300 win mag is beating you up to shoot. I'd figure out why.

Unless your taking about a light weight small diameter barrel hunting rifle in 300 win mag or other high calibers. Which is a whole other game as far as zeroing.

It's not designed to be shot one rd after another and shoot moa. Barrel heats up too quickly which changes poi.

If your talking about a 233/556 bolt gun. They are great to shoot and great varmint shooting guns. Cheap ammo and easy to reload. Plus it's easier to single load the really long ammo in a bolt gun than it is in an AR.

This is my 40 years of experience of shooting weapons
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Nowhere Mon

Post by Nowhere Mon »

A bipod and rear sand bag will work extremely well.
Nowhere Mon

Post by Nowhere Mon »

A bipod and rear sand bag will work extremely well.
TACC

Post by TACC »

I did find a difference with and without using the bipod though.
Nowhere Mon wrote:A bipod and rear sand bag will work extremely well.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk