Movie Pass is crashing

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Outgunu

Movie Pass is crashing

Post by Outgunu »

My movie pass isn't working now. Looks like they are as predicted not making ends meet.
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

I'm not sure how anyone thought this would do anything but burn investment money.
Taco

Post by Taco »

zeebaron wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:12 am I'm not sure how anyone thought this would do anything but burn investment money.
They were proving you could get people to the movies if they were free, adding significant volume to theaters. That mission was accomplished with the incredible growth of subscribers and the sheer percentage of movie attendance per theater who were on movie pass tickets.

Phase 2 was to squeeze theaters/studios on admission (a little) and concessions (a lot). Most large theater chains were hostel to the squeeze and were able to wait out the cash burn.

If one of the major chains signed on as a partner, and movie pass, let's say, went $3 per ticket at AMC and free at Regal for new customers they may have been able to hurt AMC attendance (and concessions) enough to survive and potentially thrive.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

It's too bad there's hardly been any recent movies worth seeing. All the ones I've enjoyed over the past year and a half have been indies except for Blade Runner 2049.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
tector

Post by tector »

The last film I went to a theater to see was Christmastime 2016.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I figured Moviepass wasn't going to survive very long when it was first announced. The current Hollywood business model runs on big Blockbuster returns and you're not going to get that if the major chains play ball with a service that significantly cuts ticket prices. The way it works is most theaters cut a deal with the studio that the studio gets all or most of the ticket gate for the first few weeks, and then the theater makes its money off concessions. That's why a bag of popcorn costs $8 bucks now.

Disney can't make the 439583409th Avengers movie if everyone going to the theater is doing it on the cheap and bringing a friend in for free.
Last edited by Skoll on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Better yet wait a few months and see all of them for about $10 a month plus lots of other stuff. Streaming video is going to kill off the theaters cause you can see as many movies each month as you have time for, and for as many people as you can fit in front of your widescreen TV, all at the price of one plate of theater Nachos.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I don't think so. The theater experience isn't going to go away, nor should it I think. The industry is just going to get a shake up due to modern technology. This is nothing new and hasn't happened before, they're just going to have to adapt to a new way of doing things and finding ways to make it attractive to make the movies a night out ago.

I personally love the theater experience myself, I just bring my own food in. Down here we have a once a month cult horror movie showing at an indie theater and it's worth the price of admission, much more so than whatever of six Marvel movies is currently in theaters.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

We have a wonderful little theater up the street from me. Mom & Pop run. It was a hole in a wall up until a few years ago they totally renovated it. But I do not go there anymore. Plus it is the only theater I know of in Mosquito county that serves beer at a VERY reasonable cost.

Last time I went there some fat a$$ed dumb b1tch climbed over me without giving me a chance to get up or without excusing herself and knocked over my beer! Then the same thing happened next two times I went there, with some other fat a$$ bitch. Did not even say excuse me. I had it with these jerks.

The manager replaced my beer all three times. How can I complain? But I cannot stand these a$$wipes without any manners.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!