Movie Pass is crashing

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I find it more economical to just not support Hollywood by going to the movies anymore.

Anything I want to see, I will just download when it's out on torrent.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Are they like TicketTron?
Where all the good tickets are bought up in seconds for resale thru 'ticket brokers'?
While there are too few performers I'd buy a ticket to see live; I am curious.
:?:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Skoll wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:59 am I find it more economical to just not support Hollywood by going to the movies anymore.

Sadly I’m doing this more and more. I just bought The Predator on prime for $20 and it was godawful
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Greg wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:51 am
Skoll wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:59 am I find it more economical to just not support Hollywood by going to the movies anymore.

Sadly I’m doing this more and more. I just bought The Predator on prime for $20 and it was godawful
I would have been very angry if I had paid to see that abortion of a movie. The cast interactions on the bus were probably the highlight of the film, and that's not a good thing for a Predator movie written by Shane Black.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

On even my cheap $249 special Costco TCL 43" 4k HDR TV, the resolution is exactly the same as they project in movie theaters now (or better if the they are still only using 2k digital projectors). I can copy a VPN downloaded movie file from my PC to a USB flash drive and watch it on the built in Roku, or stream it from my media server. I haven't been excited so much to see something in the past decade that I can't wait a few months for a home release, so it has never been easier to not have to set foot in a movie theater. The last time I went was to see Blazing Saddles in a sold out theater after Gene WIlder died, it was fun to laugh with the whole place at the un-PC jokes.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

MoviePass is shutting down. Discount service to bring the curtain down this week

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 314376001/

MoviePass, the service that allowed film buffs to catch flicks at a discount, will stop operating this week and may not return, according to its owner.

The film ticket app will stop operating as of Sept. 14, according to Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc., the firm that owns roughly 92% of its shares because "its efforts to recapitalize MoviePass have not been successful to date,'' the firm said in a statement. "The company is unable to predict if or when the MoviePass service will continue."

It's an abrupt but not an altogether unexpected ending for the service, which once had millions of subscribers drawn to the prospect of being able to see as many films as they wanted for $10 a month, but then teetered in the wake of a series of setbacks.

The most recent issue surfaced in August, when website TechCrunch reported that debit card numbers belonging to MoviePass subscribers, along with other personal information had been exposed.

A security researcher told TechCrunch that he'd found an unencrypted list that revealed the debit card numbers, expiration dates, and personal addresses for millions of MoviePass customers.

The company said in a statement at the time that it had recently discovered a security lapse and that the system was quickly secured.

When it first launched, MoviePass was a magnet for film fans who were able to subscribe and see as many movies as they wanted during the month for less than what many filmgoers paid for a ticket to a single screening.

But eventually, the service started getting more expensive, began boosting prices during certain highly coveted times, and controversially started re-enrolling long time customers in new services without their permission.

Subscribers were alerted Friday that MoviePass was going to cease operating. Helios and Matheson Analytics said in its statement that it is considering selling the company, getting rid of individual assets like MoviePass and Moviefone, or possibly reorganizing.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Wow, the owners milked that for everything they could. Dumb idea to begin with. I'm kinda impressed they pulled off the scam for so long, continuing to get funding for a terrible product.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

I didn't even go to a movie in 2018, nothing I needed to see.

I think the last theater experience I went to was Blade Runner 2049.

Other than that I only go to TCM/Fathom events to see classic films on the big screen. Currently they don't have anything interesting except Alien but I already saw that on the big screen in 1979.

What keeps me out of the theater is other movie goers. Tired of listening to their shit, tired of hearing their phones and sick of the crap they try and pull.
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

People actually still go to movie theaters?
With all the streaming services bringing all kinds of great stuff right into our homes, and with better popcorn, it's surprising.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

jaytwillerham wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:07 am People actually still go to movie theaters?
With all the streaming services bringing all kinds of great stuff right into our homes, and with better popcorn, it's surprising.

true but new releases don't hit the streaming services for
sometimes 6 months. the theater is your only choice if you
don't want to wait
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !