Need help with a short story

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Dr. Dickie

Need help with a short story

Post by Dr. Dickie »

Back in the early 70s I think, I read a short story that I thought was from Vonnegut, where a scientist (I think) had a machine where when he was listening to it (I though he was listening to space), he zoned out in a blissful state. The first time he discovered what it did, he almost starved to death except a big storm knocked the power out (and I think a tree crashed into his house), which shut the machine off.
It apparently wasn't Vonnegut (I have searched), but now it is driving me crazy as I can't find the story or who wrote it (I don't remember how it ended).
Any help beyond the usual joke answers I expect, appreciated.
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

Sorry man, been at it for an hour. Thought either Asimov, Heinlein, Bradbury or Clarke but to no avail as there are so many more. There is one short about a man that creates quiet w a machine. The other problem is I read a ton o books in 70's and 80's. Now can't remember what I read yesterday. Mav :lol:
photohause

Post by photohause »

Shure as $hit it wasn't Lovecraft...

I have no clue
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

I started looking but in the first minute I found about 100 good books that I want to read so now I dont have time to help you.

I imagine you have the same problem.

Good luck.
OSD

Post by OSD »

Are you sure you read it ? It sounds like a story from the old Twilight Zone. Sometimes you can find out who wrote the story for the inspiration of that show.
Jim
Bmup

Post by Bmup »

Sounds like something from Amazing Stories or maybe an anthology of Hugo winners or some other sci fi collection of short stories. Google Fu came up with a book called "Tell the Machine Goodnight" but from the reviews I saw, doesn't look like what you're looking for. Anyway, you can see for yourself on Amazon:

Good luck with your search.
"Biden/Harris 2024 - It's a No Brainer!"

"No society ever thrived because it had a large group of parasites living off those who produce." - Dr. Thomas Sowell
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

Check out this Sci FI link. Description sounds similar.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questio ... diation-fr
Iosef

Post by Iosef »

Dr. Dickie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:42 am Back in the early 70s I think, I read a short story that I thought was from Vonnegut, where a scientist (I think) had a machine where when he was listening to it (I though he was listening to space), he zoned out in a blissful state. The first time he discovered what it did, he almost starved to death except a big storm knocked the power out (and I think a tree crashed into his house), which shut the machine off.
It apparently wasn't Vonnegut (I have searched), but now it is driving me crazy as I can't find the story or who wrote it (I don't remember how it ended).
Any help beyond the usual joke answers I expect, appreciated.
That sounds like it would fit into the type of stories that Spider Robinson was writing, back then.
Dr. Dickie

Post by Dr. Dickie »

I found it, it was Vonnegut, it was in the book Welcome to the Monkey House, it was called the The Euphio Question.
Didn't have to listen, just be in the transmitter area I think.
gforester

Post by gforester »

Dr. Dickie wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:21 am I found it, it was Vonnegut, it was in the book Welcome to the Monkey House, it was called the The Euphio Question.
Didn't have to listen, just be in the transmitter area I think.
Vonnegut had a very interesting writing style, great satirist too. Ever read Cat's Cradle? How about stories from his alter ego Kilgore Trout?