FL Carry suing Miami Beach

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Miami_JBT

FL Carry suing Miami Beach

Post by Miami_JBT »

If you remember, Florida Carry hosts public open carry fishing events across the state and they held one in Miami Beach last year where they were harassed and held at gun point by the City of Miami Beach Police Department. Attorney Eric Friday of Florida Carry promised that they'd be filing against the City and the Police Department. Well, unlike some other organizations. Florida Carry keeps their word.

FLORIDA CARRY PRESS RELEASE
March 27, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Miami Beach, FL - A lawsuit for deprivation of civil rights under color of law and violations of Florida firearms and fishing laws has been filed today against the City of Miami Beach and officers of its police department over an incident where the officers assaulted, battered, and detained law-abiding fishermen at a Florida Carry fishing meetup on the South Pointe Fishing Pier on June 24th 2018. The incident was captured on video (link below).

Dubbed the "South Pointe Six", six Florida Carry members and supporters were held by police for well over two hours without cause, while the police officers went on a fishing expedition of the own in an illegal attempt to find something... anything... the officers could use in order to charge the "South Pointe Six" with a crime before finally failing and releasing them.

Even after eventually releasing Florida Carry's members, the Police Department forced the premature end of our First Amendment protected gathering by closing the public fishing pier until all known Florida Carry members and supporters left the area.

"Florida Carry will not allow our members to be abused, injured, held without cause, and have their civil rights violated without the strongest possible response to prevent these types of attacks on the good, law-abiding, citizens of our Great State." Said Florida Carry Executive Director, Sean Caranna.

"Most police officers and deputies that we encounter are outstanding professionals who have an incredibly tough job to do, we respect that honor that. However, we've seen these types of abuses happen far too many times in cities and counties who do not respect the Right to Bear Arms. Every City and County in Florida should already know that proper training about the legal possession and carry of firearms is necessary. These types of abuses will not be tolerated - IT ENDS HERE."

The plaintiffs are represented by Florida Carry General Counsel Eric Friday.

[youtube]lul6x5KabC0[/youtube]

As a Florida gun owner and an active member of the community. I say give 'em hell Eric!
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
Flashooter22

Post by Flashooter22 »

Good for them. They did an event last weekend on the Okeechobee bridge less than a mile from Mar A Lago when Trump was in town. That caused a little stir but they were allowed to stay and “fish” for as long as they wanted .
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Looks like a bunch of professional trolls finally got what they wanted.
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

zeebaron wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:02 pm Looks like a bunch of professional trolls finally got what they wanted.
I don't understand what you meant by the statement. Care to clarify on it. Are you talking about the police violating the law that's clearly laid out in florida law or the people that were lawfully exercising their rights under Florida law.

I open carry everytime I fish or camp and have never had a problem.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

zeebaron wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:02 pm Looks like a bunch of professional trolls finally got what they wanted.
I'm a cop, started my career in Miami. I'm still a cop. I support FL Carry. At no point did they troll the Police. They were exercising their rights and do so in accordance with FL Statute. Police erred in this, not the fishermen.
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Flashooter22 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:54 pm Good for them. They did an event last weekend on the Okeechobee bridge less than a mile from Mar A Lago when Trump was in town. That caused a little stir but they were allowed to stay and “fish” for as long as they wanted .
They were allowed to stay because the motorcade was not going through that roadway. If by change they would then they would have been pushed out of there. There is a federal statute that dictates, that presidential motorcade trumps their right to be armed while they are driving through.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Yeah, just like those upitty black folks in the 60s should have just minded their own business and been content with the freedoms they were allowed.

This isn't the Phelps crowd out doing blatantly offensive shit so they will get assaulted and then can sue for damages. These are people exercising their rights under the DEFINITION of the laws.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

Firemedic2000 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:55 pm
I don't understand what you meant by the statement. Care to clarify on it. Are you talking about the police violating the law that's clearly laid out in florida law or the people that were lawfully exercising their rights under Florida law.

There is no need normally to carry a gun openly when fishing as a group activity, unless you want to bring attention to yourselves. Which is what they wanted to do.

I don't care if you or anyone open carries, I was referring to this specific situation. Yes, the cops were wrong. But this group was essentially a planned protest, and that's why I say they were trolling for the result they eventually got.

FYI, I have participated in several open carry events. Just not in Florida. And yes, we were trolling to bring attention to the issue.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

zeebaron wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:18 am
Firemedic2000 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:55 pm

There is no need normally to carry a gun openly when fishing as a group activity, unless you want to bring attention to yourselves. Which is what they wanted to do.

I don't care if you or anyone open carries, I was referring to this specific situation. Yes, the cops were wrong. But this group was essentially a planned protest, and that's why I say they were trolling for the result they eventually got.

FYI, I have participated in several open carry events. Just not in Florida. And yes, we were trolling to bring attention to the issue.
You do realize that is the only way we can legally open carry and protest right?
Dr. Dickie

Post by Dr. Dickie »

Who is the troll?