RING Doorbell

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
photohause

Post by photohause »

Thanks everyone for this insight.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I like the app even if you don't have ring you can still find out what is going on in your neighborhood it shows what people report also police reports of problems in your area or you can look around other areas as well.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
JackMcConnick

Post by JackMcConnick »

I bought the Ring Doorbell last year and it has been my favorite ever since. Here are my quick pros / cons:
PROS:
- Easy enough to set up
- Easy to use
- Reliable with good wifi signal
- It's very convenient

CONS:
- Motion is too sensitive to vehicles on the road
krikeshav

Post by krikeshav »

I have been using Ring from quite a long time and I really liked it but now I think my taste is changing and ultimately I want to switch to Nest after reading this article https://howtl.com/ring-vs-nest-which-one-is-the-best/ I came to know the advantages.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Are there any more reports for either Ring or Nest in re: ability for either to be hacked from the outside? I had "Simplisafe" but there were too many reports about it being "hackable." That's one of my major concerns about such systems.

The other is their penchant for gathering data ("meta" and otherwise) and uploading them to their home offices for "marketing" and other purposes. I know Google does that unapologetically... and that's why I don't have one Google device in my house. Nor do I have "Alexa" or other equivalents, either. In fact, I don't even have Wifi (strictly wired) and I'd have to implement it to do Ring. I'll make that decision later.

Still doorbells like Ring (and their companion devices like the electronic door locks, garage door openers, etc.), do have some advantages. I work from home and have to have a "quiet environment," so I'd love to have like a "Do not disturb" feature on the door bell that would say things like that (i.e. have a "Red" indicator on the door, and an audio msg that says "Do not disturb or knock... text this number, etc. etc.").. That would be nice....

We'll see. I don't have to make a decision for a while.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

if I get the one that wires into the existing electrical door bell, will the ring doorbell ALSO sound the bell I currently have or ONLY use it's power without engaging it when someone rings the door?
S&W collector

Post by S&W collector »

It will ring your inside bell as well.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Maybe. Depends on your existing doorbell.

For $29, they have an indoor wireless chime. You plug it in anywhere and it will ring when door unit is pressed.

https://shop.ring.com/products/chime?va ... EkQAvD_BwE
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
OKIE

Post by OKIE »

I got the ring door bell pro, for the smaller size, and adjustable field of motion detection. Runs off the power from the old door bell switch. It came with a wireless device for the chime, you install between the chime and house wires. After a power outage it resets itself nicely.
armedpolak

Post by armedpolak »

Alright I ordered one earlier today, the Pro version that requires wiring. should be here in an hour according to UPS tracking... it's so nice having Amazon fulfillment warehouse near by... most of my orders are delivered same day :)

let's just hope my 40yo doorbell can power it properly...