Buying or Leasing Large equipment

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
JonathanW

Buying or Leasing Large equipment

Post by JonathanW »

Hello,

I’ve been trying to find a reliable small scale machinist locally to get even a quote on a custom bolt but it has been like pulling teeth. Most shops won’t even entertain the idea because they think making ANY gun related parts(Non-firearm receiver) is “illegal” without a license. The others won’t respond to emails reliably, and even after I hired a firm to professionally draw up blueprints explicitly for manufacturers to use, they decline the project or never respond. Actual firearm manufacturers are to busy to accept any custom work from all the ones I emailed. I’ve set up a business website and email, to further look more professional but to no avail.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but I figure I’m going to have to do this stuff on my own going forward, I’ve owned mini lathes in the past for small projects like a Form 1 Suppressor and brass models but these are not accurate or strong enough materials like carpenter steel, titanium in larger scales. I’m going to have to acquire large full size lathes and mills if I can’t find any machine shop. Is it better to buy or lease these full size machines? What are the pros and cons of each method?

Thank you
Groesbeck

Post by Groesbeck »

Are there any maker organizations that have what would work that you could use if you join the group? Also there are forums for professional machinists that you could join and get information directly from those guys.
Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger »

try contacting John Taylor on the ASSRA forum, he can make anything and makes gun parts
No anchovies?
You've got the wrong man, I spell my name Danger

To anger a conservative, lie to him - to anger a liberal, tell him the truth" Teddy R
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

Nick Danger wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:35 pm try contacting John Taylor on the ASSRA forum, he can make anything and makes gun parts
Sent an email to his website, hopefully he’s still active
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

trust me unless you're gonna have that machine running everyday and making you money you don't want to buy or lease, sub contract that shit out, everyone is busy these days, expect to pay a lot for one or 2 off's, the flip side of finding someone with a bunch of time on their hands is that machine isn't making them money, the question is why ?? and how bright is their future, I don't know anyone with money tied up in machines just letting them sit.
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

I wouldn’t mind waiting, but I’m not even getting a quote or word back from many vendors
jwperry

Post by jwperry »

rentprop1 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:23 pm trust me unless you're gonna have that machine running everyday and making you money you don't want to buy or lease, sub contract that shit out, everyone is busy these days, expect to pay a lot for one or 2 off's, the flip side of finding someone with a bunch of time on their hands is that machine isn't making them money, the question is why ?? and how bright is their future, I don't know anyone with money tied up in machines just letting them sit.
This and it isn't only the firearm industry. I'm in aero-space and to get someone to make a 1-off product is almost prohibitively expensive and lead times are stupid long.

For your primary question of buy vs lease, I'd have to ask about your cash flows and long term operating plans.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

I used to have this old man who was retired and had some old machines in his garage.

He used to make stuff for me just to have something to do.

Hes passed on now but there must be others I just dont know how you would find one.

ETA: Here's one in Largo I found in 30 seconds using Craigslist.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/sks/d/ ... 04655.html

Here's another one.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/sks/d/la ... 31447.html
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

JonathanW wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:21 pm I wouldn’t mind waiting, but I’m not even getting a quote or word back from many vendors
Put down your phone, put on some professional/casual business attire, and go visit the shops in person.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I don't know anything about prototypes ,but isn't almost anything done 3D printing first these days then the coord. can just be plugged into a CNC and voila ????

I know a guy I Brooksville, he's a gun guy he did the 3D printing for Frontier Tactical's Warlock system