Federal Appeals Court ruling on open carry

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Clyde621

Federal Appeals Court ruling on open carry

Post by Clyde621 »

A federal appeals court has ruled that the Second Amendment provides the right to openly carry a gun in public for self-defense.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday that Hawaiian officials had violated George Young's rights by denying him a permit to openly carry a loaded gun in public.

The 2-1 decision reversed a lower court decision that sided with officials who said the amendment only applied to guns kept in homes. appeals court has ruled that the Second Amendment provides the right to openly carry a gun in public for self-defense.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday that Hawaiian officials had violated George Young's rights by denying him a permit to openly carry a loaded gun in public.

Now I wonder how this will affect Fl. It may speed up the open carry argument.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Clyde621 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:37 pm
It won't affect us one bit. We have concealed carry.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Damn interesting.

The State's defense is that carrying a firearm is a privilege, not a right. This just stated that carrying is a right.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:07 pm
Clyde621 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:37 pm
It won't affect us one bit. We have concealed carry.
And, even if we were ever to get OC in FL, I'm not sure I'd be so quick to do it. I'd much prefer an 'element of surprise and stay concealed. That, and I don't want to get SWATed by anti's that still would go ballistic at the sight of a weapon without a badge next to it. Look at what happen to those fisherman off the pier, recently.

I'm all for it for those who want it.... I'm just probably not one of them.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:40 pm
I'm all for it for those who want it.... I'm just probably not one of them.
I want the right to do it...not that I will do it.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Wizard78

Post by Wizard78 »

I wouldn't mind the right so I wouldn't have to worry about "printing" or accidently displaying when out in public.
"Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one."
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Personally, I'm for both OC and CC in Florida (and every state) without a permit. I don't feel you should have to pay for a right in any way, shape or form. My brother OC's in Texas and just like the news articles shortly after the Texas law went into effect, it was 'much to do about nothing'.

I may or may not carry OC but I want the right to do so if I chose to do so.

Needs to be a paradigm shift in this country to where OC doesn't cause anyone rationale to bat an eye. No one looks twice at someone carrying a back pack or sling bag. Same with OC. Hell, lets get to the point where the OC holster becomes a fashion statement. Good for the holster industry and creates jobs.

I would recommend a good holster that has some retention capability though and not just some open top holster like a Fobus.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
photohause

Post by photohause »

“You didn’t finish school, did you?
gforester

Post by gforester »

We have OC in Alabama and CWP requirement if you conceal. Nobody bats an eye at seeing folks in the grocery store or anywhere downtown with their firearm on their belt in a holster. It seems it is mostly the suburban soccer moms and blue haired Yankee transplants that have an issue with OC in Florida and the politicians play to that fear for votes.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Hard to believe that the worst Anti's in the country in Hawaii would do this. Perhaps there is hope after all?
FfNJGTFO wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:40 pm
And, even if we were ever to get OC in FL, I'm not sure I'd be so quick to do it. I'd much prefer an 'element of surprise and stay concealed.
^ I agree - I had occasions where I wanted to OC without being hassled by the Gooberment and want to be able to exercise that right.
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!