Language. Always a tough subject

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Bobberfishin

Post by Bobberfishin »

I'm in sales.
When someone "curses" in front of me & then apologizes I just tell them "It's OK. I know all the words to the song, I just don't sing it all the time"

It doesn't offend me as much as a car driving by with the music blasting "F this, F this, N word, N word, N word"

Looks like FSN is trying to expand, but is also trying to implement new rules for language & items for sale.
That's a hard sale.
Make the rules, move forward. Some will leave, & then you'll gain some others.

What's the one thing everybody has, that nobody else wants? Their opinion

Thank you, thank you very much. I'll be here all week. Try the fish, it's great.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Remember the 'Clam Down' row?
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Wasn't there a profanity filter before the forum wen't down? I thought I remembered seeing that as an option somewhere in the user CP.

Either way, I'd still consider this place a pretty "tame" place compared to some others.

I think its funny that a forum that revolves around people exercising their Second Amendment rights seems to have some kind of problem with its membership exercising their First Amendment rights.

If its excessive and/or DIRECTED towards another member maybe that's a different story (Hostility, threats etc) and would warrant a warning?
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I'm in favor of an optional profanity filter that you can turn on and off.

Someone is always going to be offended by what someone else says and I'm not in the habit of triple checking my posts just to make sure someone on the internet doesn't get their panties in a twist that my comments aren't PC or gender neutral enough.

I also agree trouter3 is a blowhard and possibly insane, but I've come to look forward to those rants because they are always good for a chuckle.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
photohause

Post by photohause »

Do what you need to do here. I appreciate this forum, and thank you.
For me, the louder someone ranks, the less I read what they are saying... censoring themselves.

IBTL

Last edited by photohause on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

This isn't Romper Room,I didn't/don't come here to have to watch my mouth because a kid or someones grandson might see a foul word I use.Use the profanity filter or keep the kids off the site and in romper room.
This is kinda like walking in a bar and asking the bartender to take the condom machine out of the bathroom because you don't want to explain to your "whoever" why its there.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
OSD

Post by OSD »

One important thing to remember...a forum does not come under the free speech rule. It's rules and regulations are totally under the discretion of the owner/owners of the forum.
If this is even being brought up, then somewhere along the line someone or a few have crossed that line. I think it's surprising that they have even asked for member opinions. They don't have to.
I think if everyone just tried a little harder not to use f**k, c**t, N-word, or a couple others this wouldn't be a problem. A shit or damn once in a while is not the end of the world, but even using them every other word gets old and could cause a crackdown and more rules to be implemented.
This may not be romper room but it sure doesn't need to display a nasty type of image to people who may be thinking of joining or participating. You're not going to get women or many younger people that want to see this type of behavior. Maybe it is time for some people to get their reins pulled in a little so that maybe the forum can bring in new people and grow.

JMHO-YMMV
Jim
tector

Post by tector »

I use every curse word but "cunt" openly on FB all the time. I refrain from "cunt" voluntarily by my choice, so as to not offend some of my lady readers--it just has that special quality in the U.S. (it has a broader meaning in the U.K., more akin to "asshole"). And in some private groups on FB I do use the word, since it is not a general audience and the crowd, ladies included, are a little more hardy.

It would seem to me the FSN audience should be able to stand language that is common elsewhere, even on highly regulated platforms like FB. If you are that much of a pussy, you probably don't belong on the internet generally, as has been pointed out.

That being said--and as I mentioned prior--at one point we had a profanity filter that required a member to opt out to see "bad" words. Why can't we just go back to that?
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
CDI

Post by CDI »

i rarely post here any more because all i see is grown men acting like a bunch of bitches. adults curse. get over it. people stay away from this place because its like a online group of condo commandos. in my opinion being PC is going to kill this place.
trouter3

Post by trouter3 »

Skoll ... You are always the voice of good common sense on this site .. Re insane ..maybe, on the brink, blowhard, school still out on that one, I like opinionated & loud better, but I'm glad you enjoy my rants, if I stay rest assured more will come

Peace and tranquility
Last edited by trouter3 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.