Anyone here ever use Amtrak auto train ?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

Brother has used it the last 10 years, twice a year for the Florida snowbird thing.
Brings firearms and ammo down to go shooting with me every year. Buries them under all the clothes and under the back seats in the Escalade, never a problem.
Some costume jewelry got lifted from the car 4-5 years ago that my neice left on the seat in a pouch. Other than that, no problems.

They get full rooms. They just don't like the drive down.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

TonyR wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:08 pm They've got roomettes that are set up for 2,your own toilet in your roomette. I'm a picky bitch,LOL
Are you sure those are "roomettes?" I believe they are "full bedrooms." On the standard Superliner II cars, the roomettes do not have private toilets. Only the full bedrooms do. Now, there are full bedrooms that face each other and have a partition that can be retracted, yielding a "double" full bedroom for a family. In that case, there are two private toilets/showers in the expanded suite.

Now, the new "Viewliner" cars may have private toilets in roomettes, but they aren't used on the AutoTrain... only specially configured Superliner cars that have the correct brake configuration for the AutoTrain. Either that, or there's some new Superliner car the Auto Train is using, but I'd have heard about that.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Go look at the site ? See what you see,LOL
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

TonyR wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:30 pm Go look at the site ? See what you see,LOL
OK. Here's the AMTRAK website description of a "Roomette" on the Auto Train. You'll notice it says "Access to a private restroom and shower in your car" But it's a common room for all roomette passengers. If you then click on the "Bedroom" button, you'll see it mentions "In-room sink, restroom and shower."

Which site are you looking at?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I don't know,all the videos I've seen on you tube show toilets,in the roomette's.
Bladesmith2000

Post by Bladesmith2000 »

We took the Autotrain once in the late 90’s when both kids were still pre-teens. We opted for coach to save some money since we were still in our 20’s and thought it would be no problem. Huuugee mistake! No sleep for the entire trip. I’m 6’3” and my legs hung off of the footrest by at least a foot. My wife sat across isle from me with my 6 year old daughter by the window. Our seats were unfortunately in the car just before the bar car, so the door opening every 5 minutes all night long was not sleep inducing. Needless to say we regretted not getting a private room and we’re glad that we opted for one way and drove home. Also, if you get motion sickness either stay on the lower level or skip this ride.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

TonyR wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:24 pm I don't know,all the videos I've seen on you tube show toilets,in the roomette's.
In older cars, yes. Not in the "Superliner" cars that were refurbished for the Auto Train.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Bladesmith2000 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:25 pm We took the Autotrain once in the late 90’s when both kids were still pre-teens. We opted for coach to save some money since we were still in our 20’s and thought it would be no problem. Huuugee mistake! No sleep for the entire trip. I’m 6’3” and my legs hung off of the footrest by at least a foot. My wife sat across isle from me with my 6 year old daughter by the window. Our seats were unfortunately in the car just before the bar car, so the door opening every 5 minutes all night long was not sleep inducing. Needless to say we regretted not getting a private room and we’re glad that we opted for one way and drove home. Also, if you get motion sickness either stay on the lower level or skip this ride.
I stayed on the upper level all the time and (mostly) in the middle of the car (not directly over the car's wheel trucks). That will exacerbate the motion sickness. I also found that "Over the Counter" Dramamine helps a lot. I believe there's a brand called "Bonine" which you can get OTC. The generic name is "Meclazine HCL," usually in 25mg tablets. You can also get it "via prescription."

If you want a full bedroom, go for bedroom "D" if you're heading south, and "E" if you're heading North. Those are right in the middle of the car and the sofa follows the direction of travel. You can call Amtrak right after you make the reservation on-line (or call them anyway) to get the room re-assigned (rooms are assigned automatically when the tickets are booked). Rooms B and A are right over the wheel truck. A roomette has the seats facing both ways so that's not an issue.
Last edited by FfNJGTFO on Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Chigger wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:20 pm Brother has used it the last 10 years, twice a year for the Florida snowbird thing.
Brings firearms and ammo down to go shooting with me every year. Buries them under all the clothes and under the back seats in the Escalade, never a problem.
Your brother has been lucky. Again, if that dog alerts on the car, that driver best prepare for a "Shake and Bake" inspection. And, most of the time, they take long enough for you to miss the train for that day.
Chigger wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:20 pmSome costume jewelry got lifted from the car 4-5 years ago that my neice left on the seat in a pouch. Other than that, no problems.
The car jockeys are, actually, contractors, not AMTRAK employees. They're pretty decent. I've left pocket change out and exposed, just to test them, and it was never touched. As a general rule, they'd only be able to "rip off" things small enough to carry concealed on their person. There are security cameras watching them as they enter/exit the container cars, just for that reason. I gather that kinda reduces the liability for AMTRAK in the event things do get ripped off, or there are fender benders when tying to get the cars in/out of the containers.
Chigger wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:20 pm They get full rooms. They just don't like the drive down.
Full bedrooms are expensive, but they are absolutely worth it. The space you get.... The full sofa, the private bathroom/shower, totally worth it.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

LOL,well so far I can get a RT ticket,my least favorite way to travel, for the cost of fuel in my pig,soo hahaha