Help to identify

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
MAGNUS DUX

Help to identify

Post by MAGNUS DUX »

I thought it was a Yugo Mauser but was told it might be a Polish WZ29 or Erfurt style German Mauser.
Help me to identify. It has no crest or other markings, just a S/N and some laser engraved number.

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Definately looks like a WZ-29

Very nice rifle. I've been a Mauser kick lately, picking up inexepnsive Yugo's :D

But that certainly looks like a Wz29
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

It could be a Spanish Civil War rifle from Poland. They scrubbed them like that. Damn fine looking rifle. Real nice stock Per proving it, Well ID ing SCW rifles are more art than science.
MAGNUS DUX

Post by MAGNUS DUX »

Update:
From what I gathered looks like it is a Karabinek WZ29 made for the Spanish civil war but it also has nazi proof stamp as well. Bolt has a circled Z which might be from Czeck.
A big mess but a beautiful rifle.

URL=http://www.imagebam.com/image/9c82271344151022]Image[/URL] Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

That can be the pain of SCW rifles.. Afterwards the Spanish Government fixed up what rifles they could with the parts they had on hand.. Or this was put together by someone here in the US..

Stupid question any hint of an import mark.. ?? I know they did not mark a lot of the original surplus batches brought in from Spain.
MAGNUS DUX

Post by MAGNUS DUX »

indy1919a4 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 pm That can be the pain of SCW rifles.. Afterwards the Spanish Government fixed up what rifles they could with the parts they had on hand.. Or this was put together by someone here in the US..

Stupid question any hint of an import mark.. ?? I know they did not mark a lot of the original surplus batches brought in from Spain.
No import marks
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Very nice rifle. Shame it's been scrubbed, but looks like it would make a fine shooter.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

NorincoKid wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:51 am Very nice rifle. Shame it's been scrubbed, but looks like it would make a fine shooter.

Oh heck its cool that its been scrubbed, that is a great hint to its SCW links.. The Poles did that so the gun would not be linked back to them as aiding the Republicans..

Its so neat the variety of arms the Spanish received from the world,,

https://carbinesforcollectors.com/spanishcivilwar1.html
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

indy1919a4 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:04 pm
NorincoKid wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:51 am Very nice rifle. Shame it's been scrubbed, but looks like it would make a fine shooter.

Oh heck its cool that its been scrubbed, that is a great hint to its SCW links.. The Poles did that so the gun would not be linked back to them as aiding the Republicans..

Its definitely cool. Much in the same way that contract guns, or Yugo or Russian capture K98's are cool.... just not as collectible/valuable as an unmolested/properly marked one. Which only matters to a small group of people, for those looking for a shooter it's the more affordable way to get into them. Clean Polish mausers usually fetch pretty good coin.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

NorincoKid wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:18 pm
indy1919a4 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:04 pm

Its definitely cool. Much in the same way that contract guns, or Yugo or Russian capture K98's are cool.... just not as collectible/valuable as an unmolested/properly marked one. Which only matters to a small group of people, for those looking for a shooter it's the more affordable way to get into them. Clean Polish mausers usually fetch pretty good coin.

One of these days someone is going to explain to me the full meaning of which guns are collectible and which is not. I see alot of people collecting ones just like this, any happy to do so.. I hear people at shows telling me this type is not collectible, while at the table next to him I see people engaged in Fisticuffs and throwing money at the owner to own said gun. :)
Last edited by indy1919a4 on Thu May 21, 2020 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.