Official C&R Picture Thread

The art of collecting C&R firearms including: Mausers, Mosins, Enfields and others. Got questons on C&R Licenses? Ask here.
hurricanecharlie

Post by hurricanecharlie »

What is the definitive answer on type of wood? I have heard teak but teak is extremely heavy,dust toxic ,and must use different tools because it is so hard and I believe contains silica.Very pretty rifles.Shoot great. Friend has one I have not been able to make a trade.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

hurricanecharlie wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:36 pm What is the definitive answer on type of wood? I have heard teak but teak is extremely heavy,dust toxic ,and must use different tools because it is so hard and I believe contains silica.Very pretty rifles.Shoot great. Friend has one I have not been able to make a trade.
I'm not sure. I'm no wood expert. Its definitely dense, though.

As much as I really, really try to leave a milsurp gun alone, I'm really tempted to try to sand her down and get her nice and blonde like a Mitchell's

hurricanecharlie

Post by hurricanecharlie »

Don't do it!
That teak color is so rich.
Find a late Enfiled no4mk2
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Got this buttoned up.

How I received it;

A $179 special from Centerfire. Barrel was already cut back 2" and was drilled and tapped for an aftermarket front sight base, and the receiver was drilled and tapped for scope mount.

Hacksawed it down, sanded the stock, grabbed an upper handguard & proper Persian FSB and found some random CZ/Yugo bands that were kicking around the shop.

Had to open up the band/bayonet lug parts to fit the barrel, since its considerably fatter there now compared to where it was supposed to be. The wood fit inside is snug but I did cut it a little shorter than I would have liked. But there was plenty of "meat" left inside.

First job on the new lathe was turning down the barrel to fit the front sight base. A surprising amount of metal needed to be removed. The Persian base is considerably smaller ID than any of the Yugo or Czech bases I had on hand.

Got that all turned down, and fitted the sight. Would up putting the whole barreled receiver in the vise and used a level on the front lug area of the receiver to get a baseline, then installed the rear sight and soldered when straight/level, ditto with the front.

Actually pretty happy with how this little bastardized sporter came out. A little Persian 8mm Tanker Carbine

For size comparison with a K98;

George W

Post by George W »

NorincoKid wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:52 pm Got this buttoned up.

How I received it;

[IMG]

A $179 special from Centerfire. Barrel was already cut back 2" and was drilled and tapped for an aftermarket front sight base, and the receiver was drilled and tapped for scope mount.

Hacksawed it down, sanded the stock, grabbed an upper handguard & proper Persian FSB and found some random CZ/Yugo bands that were kicking around the shop.

[IMG]
Had to open up the band/bayonet lug parts to fit the barrel, since its considerably fatter there now compared to where it was supposed to be. The wood fit inside is snug but I did cut it a little shorter than I would have liked. But there was plenty of "meat" left inside.

[IMG]

First job on the new lathe was turning down the barrel to fit the front sight base. A surprising amount of metal needed to be removed. The Persian base is considerably smaller ID than any of the Yugo or Czech bases I had on hand.

[IMG]

Got that all turned down, and fitted the sight. Would up putting the whole barreled receiver in the vise and used a level on the front lug area of the receiver to get a baseline, then installed the rear sight and soldered when straight/level, ditto with the front.

[IMG]

Actually pretty happy with how this little bastardized sporter came out. A little Persian 8mm Tanker Carbine
I'm always impressed with your results. Great job.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

NorincoKid wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:52 pm Got this buttoned up.

How I received it;

For size comparison with a K98;

Wow now that is making a silk purse out... well... Some type of critters ear.. That is beautiful. I love the short barrel and the trench mag. Real Yin and yang look.

Only thing wrong with those trench mags is you starts to get tired as you get to the bottom of the Mag..

real nice look
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Had a busted Mauser bayonet laying around as well, cut that down to fit;

Someday, maybe after more practice I will try to cut/shorten the blade to roughly "buck knife" length. Never tried doing anything like that before so will probably practice on some cheap sh!tty bayonets first.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

Nice, I am not a Bayonet man, but that is nice. Any chance to see how big the handle is to like the human hand??? Oh hell even an unhuman hand would work.. :)