AOW vs. Non-AOW?

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
Tenzing_Norgay

AOW vs. Non-AOW?

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

What makes this 14in. Remington 870 (sold without stock or pistol grip) an AOW, while the Remington TAC-14 isn't? :? :?:

https://www.capitolarmory.com/remington ... e-aow.html

https://www.remington.com/other-product ... 870-tac-14
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Casual

Post by Casual »

Good question. Want to know too
Greg

Post by Greg »

I love my serbu super shorty 12 gauge. Have it loaded with Brenneke Maximum Barrier Penetration 1 3/8 Magnum Slugs. 3 loaded and a Mesa side saddle on the side. Pachymar Vindactor Grip eliminates most of the recoil. Shooting the slugs w it it will suck up most of the room with its velocity coming out.

I would stay away from the capitol armory deal. I would wanna put a stock on that and you can’t with aow status.

Anyone local in central Fl area that would be able to put a bead sight on my serbu super shorty? I hate it not having any kind of sight

I would sell it though for sure for the right ammount. $5 aow stamp and $80 transfer fee for Nfa
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:43 am What makes this 14in. Remington 870 (sold without stock or pistol grip) an AOW, while the Remington TAC-14 isn't? :? :?:

https://www.capitolarmory.com/remington ... e-aow.html

https://www.remington.com/other-product ... 870-tac-14
The AOW has an overall length < 26".....the TAC-14 is >26", therefore it is considered a "firearm", not an AOW.

The reason most of the current crop of short barreled "non AOW" shotguns have those extended, "clubfoot" style pistol grips is to get their OAL just over the 26" threshold
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

I'm aware of the 26" rule...so why doesn't Remington just slap a birdshead grip on it (to get it over 26") and sell it like the Tac-14? Wondering who their market is for the AOW units...
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Greg wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:56 am I love my serbu super shorty 12 gauge. Have it loaded with Brenneke Maximum Barrier Penetration 1 3/8 Magnum Slugs. 3 loaded and a Mesa side saddle on the side. Pachymar Vindactor Grip eliminates most of the recoil. Shooting the slugs w it it will suck up most of the room with its velocity coming out.

I would stay away from the capitol armory deal. I would wanna put a stock on that and you can’t with aow status.
I've been looking at the Serbu's... haven't made up my mind yet. The $5 stamp makes the AOW's attractive.

Already have an SBS...looking for a shorty shotty w/pistol grip.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:33 am
Greg wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:56 am I love my serbu super shorty 12 gauge. Have it loaded with Brenneke Maximum Barrier Penetration 1 3/8 Magnum Slugs. 3 loaded and a Mesa side saddle on the side. Pachymar Vindactor Grip eliminates most of the recoil. Shooting the slugs w it it will suck up most of the room with its velocity coming out.

I've been looking at the Serbu's... haven't made up my mind yet. The $5 stamp makes the AOW's attractive.

Lemme know if you want it. I’d cut a good deal. I’m in the Clermont area out in Lake County
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 am I'm aware of the 26" rule...so why doesn't Remington just slap a birdshead grip on it (to get it over 26") and sell it like the Tac-14? Wondering who their market is for the AOW units...
Law Enforcement......and anyone who doesn't want to hold their shotgun like Bama Mc Call in "Gator" when they fire it.....
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Greg wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:50 am
Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:33 am

Lemme know if you want it. I’d cut a good deal. I’m in the Clermont area out in Lake County
PM me a price. FTF doesn't matter as we'd have to Form 3 it, yes?
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

I have a Serbu type shorty that I got from a group buy we did here many years ago. 12 gauge. I have exactly 6 rounds through it. I also have one of the Tac14s, and that's MUCH more fun to shoot. Remington has a $50 mail in rebate right now for their shotguns, so you can get a new Tac14 for about $200 right now. That's stupid cheap. I have one in 20 gauge and one in 12, and the one in 12 is mag fed. Fun fun fun.