Gun store calls ATF on customer's M2

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Did you read my edit? The owner said he didn't want it back since he didn't want to get in trouble.
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Thanks. No, I missed your edit.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

It doesn't matter what markings are on the receiver.... lots of people put Auto or burst markings on their AR-15
In the eyes of the ATF it only matters if the parts are there or there is intent.

I would have rejected the gun at the counter.... not siding with the gun shop but it's possible that a low pay counter person took the gun in for Gunsmithing not knowing that it might have been full auto and then the jerk off fest happened back on the gunsmith bench when they figured out what it was.

At that point I side with them that they turned it over to the ATF because just simply being in possession of it could have been hell for them to pay, plus all the liability.

Regards to the family heirloom, just because Grandpa committed a felony doesn't mean that his wife for children want to.... these are called "attic finds " believe it or not they happen more often than you would think.... most of the time that people get wrong information find out the value of that firearm in question, and then get greedy, even after finding out that it's illegal.... they always find someone who is willing to purchase it.

I had a lady call me a couple years ago and she said her deceased husband had a Thompson I asked her if it had any paperwork and she said no. :shock: ... he got it when he was in the military.... I explained without paperwork it's contriband, and potentially stolen government property.... all she kept asking me is how much I would give her for it.... Obviously she had already checked around with a couple of his other gun buddies who told them what it could be potentially worth...... now I didn't look at her number on the caller ID and call the ATF, but somebody probably paid way too much for something you're not supposed to have is going to have a real bad day when they start showing it to a bunch of their gun Buddies.....

As far as cutting it up... the ATF has very specific rules now about destruction.... for what it's worth you can buy most of the M2 Parts ( components ) on GunBroker :mrgreen:
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

If memory serves me correctly, there was a gunsmith down in the Miami area (Bird road) 30+ years ago that got into a LOT of trouble for pretty much the same thing! Worked on the gun and gave it back! Don't remember if it was a sting or not, but kinda remember him getting arrested?!
WeaponsWorld

Post by WeaponsWorld »

Without judging I’ll say this. The gun was never transferred to the FFL unless it went into his A&D book. Therefore he could have (not saying he should have) returned it to the customer. If the dealer has a class 3 or 07 FFL he could have held onto it until a suitable solution for disposal was found. Maybe the solution was to properly destroy the unregistered machine gun receiver and return the parts to the owner. Either way a phone call to ATF could have provided some useful guidance instead of going into complete panic mode like someone who has never seen a machine gun before. Just a thought.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

The FA ban for citizens is absolutely unconstitutional.
Let’s start there with this thought experiment.
R/Griff
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

dammitgriff wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:30 pm
Let’s start there with this thought experiment.
R/Griff
yeah lets bump a 2 year old topic with nothing to add :roll: :mrgreen: