Price check on savage 30 rolling block

Everything regarding .22 pistols, revolvers and rifles.
p7fl

Price check on savage 30 rolling block

Post by p7fl »

Noticed this rifle at a LGS. Rolling block action single shot 22. Octagonal barrel.
Not sure of age. Shows a lot of wear. I don't know that it even works.
But, I love the looks. Could be on target for my grandchildren who are coming up on shooting age.
Gun is light and stock is shortish.

Store price is $350. What should I pay or offer?
OR should I just wait until they can handle my SW AR in 22 with an optic.
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

The Savage 30 is a modern reproduction of the Stevens Favorite and similar single shot falling block boys rifles of the early 20th Century. They're no longer made, but I think $350 is way out of line for that rifle, when you can buy an original with some real history for less than that. I don't know about the example you saw, but look how poorly the butt stock fits to the receiver in the video below, and the hammer and breech block look like MIM castings. The originals range from poor condition, if kept in a barn to shoot rats, to beautiful antiques with color case hardened receivers, which could fetch closer to the price you saw, or more. I love old single shot falling blocks, but I'd keep an eye out for an older one at a yard sale or a gun show that can be restored with a little TLC and make an heirloom as well as a trainer for your grandkids.

Here's an article about them:
https://www.chuckhawks.com/stevens_favorite.htm

Here's a video:
p7fl

Post by p7fl »

Odessaman:
Thx for the answers.
2 more questions if you follow these rifles.
1. would the octagonal barrel add value, it does add to the visual appeal. and 2. are there other companies that made the rolling block in 22?
TIA
jon
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

These types of rifles were very popular in the early 1900s, and several companies made inexpensive single shots that worked on similar principles.
They were mostly falling block actions, meaning the breech block drops down vertically as the lever is activated to expose the chamber, as opposed to a true rolling block, where the breech block rotates (or "rolls") rearward around an axis pin to open the action and forward to close it.

Barrels could be full octagon, half octagon / half round, or fully round. The octagon was a design holdover from the black powder era, and gradually phased out as manufacturing techniques improved and the public's tastes changed. Round barrels became cheaper to make and customers wanted lighter, sleeker looking guns, so most makers got away from octagon barrels by the late 20's. I agree octagon barrels "look" more proper and appealing on these types of guns, and modern makers often use them for the nostalgic flair as a marketing tool - just look at lever action rifles for Cowboy Action Shooting, for example. I might pay a premium for an octagon barrel on a vintage example, just because I like them, but I don't think an octagon barrel on a modern Savage 30 is worth enough extra to overcome the other flaws I see in them.

Remington made the Model 4, a true rolling block, in .22 and .32 rimfire, and also a Model 6 .22, which is an odd "tilting" block, and Remington's cheapest offering (both in terms of quality and price.)
Stevens had several models of falling block .22s, including the Favorite and the Crackshot (names attached to several variations over the years).
Hopkins & Allen made neat little falling blocks, and some designs were made & sold under the Merwin & Hulbert name.
There were other lesser known makers, but those are the most common and the easiest to find parts for.

If you find an old .22 single shot rifle that's basically sound but in need of work, there are several sources for parts, including eBay, Numrich, Jack First Gun Parts, and Kenn Womack at rollingblockparts.com. Original wood in good condition is hard to find and expensive when you do, so it's best to find a project with good wood, and a reasonably good receiver and barrel that aren't pitted out.
p7fl

Post by p7fl »

thank you !! for this very informative and detailed post.
p7fl

Post by p7fl »

Odessaman:
again thx. I didn't buy the rifle. I'll find another in better shape.
jon
rug357

Post by rug357 »

I started my son's shooting lesson with a Chipmunk when he was 3 1/2 y/o and took him to a range when he was 4 y/o. I like the cocking knob feature as he wasn't strong enough to pull the knob to cock the hammer until he was a little older. He is 14 now but that little chipmunk rifle is still one of his top 3 favorite guns. I don't think I can ever sell that rifle. Now my 8 y/o daughter is becoming interested in shooting so I'll probably buy another chipmunk but in pink for her.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

At $350 it had better be the rifle that shot Hitler, with provenance. :)

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk