How do you carry extra shells?

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
TippyRacer

How do you carry extra shells?

Post by TippyRacer »

Was wondering what other people do. For pistols of course I have mags loaded up in case I need to grab and go. For revolvers I have speed strips and speed loaders prepopulated for any Smith of choice.
For AR’s duh there’s the requisite pile of PMags loaded & ready. For AK’s same (well, not PMags).

But what do you all do for your (non detachable mag) pump guns? I’ve got a side saddle on my 870, but oooh that’s a whole 4 extra ...
I’ve come up with a few inelegant solutions over the years, but nothing cool and easy. Maybe I should just give in and rock the bandolier like I’ve always wanted to since childhood? :D :mrgreen: :lol:
I know nothing, and I can prove it.
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

Greg

Post by Greg »

Mine has 82 shells in it. The inner lining unzips the entire way and you can triple stack shells the entire length of the belt

I have 2 of em. 1 for my Stoeger Double Defense double barrel 12 gauge. The other for my serbu super shorty w a Mesa tactical 6 shell holder. I have both shotguns loaded with Brenneke Special Forces Maximum Barrier Penetration Magnum 12 Gauge 1 3/8 oz slugs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00YIWJK ... asin_title
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Go bandolier
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Realistically how many round do you think you’ll need in a gunfight? I think couple shots will be more than enough in real life. I keep 5 buckshots in the magazine which leaves room for one more rounds in the magazine. I have a side-saddle with 3 slugs and 3 buckshots...all my slugs are in white/clear shell and buckshots are all in red shells. I think 11 rounds should be enough for most incidents. I used to shoot shotgun matches a lot and one thing I learned was that a sling with bunch of shells on it is heavy and when that heavy sling is swaying side-to-side it makes it very difficult to make aimed shots. Also those nylon/elastic bandolier don’t hold shells very well when you are moving around and you’ll leave a trail of shells behind you. Next to my shotgun I keep some spare buckshots in the night stand.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

Check out what the 3-gunners use.
They figured this all out a long time ago.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
GreyShark

Post by GreyShark »

Not a fan of side saddles, just don't like extra stuff hanging on my gun. Maxpedition used to make a 12 round shell pouch that is pretty decent for retention and keeping mud or debris out. Other than that shell belts with elastic loops are cheap, available from a number of sources and usually hold around 25 rounds. I like these a lot better than over the shoulder bandoliers because they stay in place making it easier to pull the shells out and you don't have to guess where the next round is coming from. Assuming you follow all the normal safe gun handling skills you can get dummy shells and practice reloading and dry firing from the belt, you can get pretty quick. 12ga shells are large enough a traditional covered shell bag can be a reasonable option, too. Load 2 is a worthwhile skill to acquire as well.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Depends what for. On a boat - when I used to go to Key West by boat, I’d be 80+ miles offshore - I carried an 870 Marine magnum with a shell carrier sling to keep everything together and readily at hand. Yes, those slings destroy the swing for hunting, so, I’d agree with the belt, or just a belt pouch or holder. I don’t care for side saddles, either. When hunting, you should have no need to reload that many that fast. I have a plastic holder that clips over my belt and holds about 6 rounds. The rest can stay in boxes in my pack - how many does one need for hunting? Clays - trap or skeet - the larger belt pouch.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Greg

Post by Greg »

GreyShark wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:23 am Not a fan of side saddles, just don't like extra stuff hanging on my gun. Maxpedition used to make a 12 round shell pouch that is pretty decent for retention and keeping mud or debris out. Other than that shell belts with elastic loops are cheap, available from a number of sources and usually hold around 25 rounds. I like these a lot better than over the shoulder bandoliers because they stay in place making it easier to pull the shells out and you don't have to guess where the next round is coming from. Assuming you follow all the normal safe gun handling skills you can get dummy shells and practice reloading and dry firing from the belt, you can get pretty quick. 12ga shells are large enough a traditional covered shell bag can be a reasonable option, too. Load 2 is a worthwhile skill to acquire as well.
I train like this with my Stoeger Double barrel 12 gauge. I train w the belt and use Brenneke maximum barrier penetration slugs as the load. Load itself it just under 50 cal in grains. I’m lightning quick w the reloads now

Thinking of getting a laser to attach to it at some point

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Y4QPX ... 0DER&psc=1
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009