Taylor's &Co malf

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
Bugman

Taylor's &Co malf

Post by Bugman »

Anyone familiar with SAs
My Smokewagon will not hold the latch down for loading anymore.

Customer services there is worse than Taurus
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

sounds like your spring and detent are missing, last time I ordered some the backorder was almost 6 months and about $ 12 for each piece
Bugman

Post by Bugman »

What spring and detent are you talking about?

taylor's has a worse customer service department than Taurus
how would they have come out?

this gun has less than 1100 rounds through it
I only keep it because it's my mother's favorite

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Pub/schema ... _schem.jpg
Bugman

Post by Bugman »

OK I just rewad my first post
It's fairly incoherent

The cylinder catch is not disengaging in the loading position, or at all
it is gouging in a cylinder ring

If I hold it in place or push it back down with my finger it will hold until jostled or
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Your post is the same as a customer walking into an auto shop and saying my car makes a ticka-ticka-ticka sound. What's wrong with it ? :oops:
Are you asking about the cylinder stop that little silver piece in the six position on the frame that indexes the cylinder?

If so the same mainspring that operate your trigger also pushes up on that cylinder stop.

Single actions are fairly easy to work on but you got to know what parts do what
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Your post is the same as a customer walking into an auto shop and saying my car makes a ticka-ticka-ticka sound. What's wrong with it ? :oops:
Are you asking about the cylinder stop that little silver piece in the six position on the frame that indexes the cylinder?

If so the same mainspring that operate your trigger also pushes up on that cylinder stop.

Single actions are fairly easy to work on but you got to know what parts do what.

You can't blame Taylor and Company there just an importer and they surely couldn't answer your question if you were going to describe it to him like that.

It's mechanical, parts fail, not all are warranty items
Villafuego

Post by Villafuego »

The "cylinder catch" is referred to as the "bolt".....the part that indexes the cylinder is the "hand"
When the hammer is cocked....to any position, a small protrusion on the side of the hammer raises the curved tail of the bolt at the same time it raises the hand......that drops the front of the bolt and allows the cylinder to rotate while being indexed by the hand.

If the tail of the bolt becomes worn or breaks, or the contact surface on the hammer becomes worn, the bolt will either not work at all....and the cylinder will lock up solid, or it will slip off the hammer to soon....and you'll end up with some nasty drag lines on your cylinder.

Sounds like yours is slipping off at half cock.

Probably need a new bolt, and possibly a new hammer. Neither are "drop in" on a SAA and have to be fitted/timed
Louiethelump

Post by Louiethelump »

What he said. The bolt is probably the most commonly worn part due to the way it works in the Colt style actions. Ruger did away with the split tail on the cylinder locking bolt to correct this. Vast improvement but not traditional. The cam on the hammer is normally very hard and normally just a bolt will do the job. It is wear and probably not warranty. If it was ever fanned that accelerated the problem. If you are going to keep and shoot that gun, order two bolts and a set of springs too. (They are flat springs and also break). That way you will have the parts on hand.
Fastest contact is louiethelump@yahoo.com
Bugman

Post by Bugman »

The bolt, aka the cylinder catch (Numrich) is not indexed by the Mainspring , but oddly enough by the Bolt and Trigger Spring
I did not ask for warranty work, which would be why I never mentioned anything about a warranty here.

Thank you Louie and Villafuego for pointing me in the right direction without feeling the need to demean and belittle to make yourslves look better than you are

And my question was more akin to
"One of those four big round black things on the outside of me car is flat on one side, what parts do I need to buy to fix it"?
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

Check Brownells.com for their schematic and parts page for this revolver.
They will at least describe the parts and where they are in your gun.