The return of the Colt Python

Wheelguns of all descriptions.
Capt_Jerry

Post by Capt_Jerry »

rug357 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:07 pm Not surprised. This new Python is a Python in name only. It supposedly uses a new lockwork that is easier to make, require no custom fitting and more robust than the original lockwork...another words cheaper to make. I'll hold on to my 1976 Python.
I can't imagine CNC manufactured parts, although very accurate in tolerances, just being dropped in by an assembler without the old craftsman fitting and working the action. It's surely about cost and production speed.

From the reports I've read the new Python has some serious issues. One would think with Colt's history they would surely test and re-test the pistol before introducing it in grandiose fashion. It's all about the $$ money $$.

I am not a Colt hater as I own three Colts. A early Colt Agent in .38 Special, a Colt Anaconda 6" and my favorite a Colt Python 4" born in 1960. I just like quality revolvers.

Kimber has come out with a 4" K6S target model. The K6S is a proven design. I have one on order.
ss1

Post by ss1 »

Reviving an old thread, .... I bought a new Python today! Yes, I paid more than MSRP, but it was there at my LGS and very minty as no one had touched it and it's been on my short list since they announced it. Playing with the trigger, it was nice and crisp, but maybe needs a little attention as it isn't glasslike like my Colt King Cobra that has seen a lot of TLC and spring upgrades. It has a gorgeous polish on it and great fitment.

gforester

Post by gforester »

Let us know how that works out for you. I hope it is better than the one Hickock 45 reviewed.
ss1

Post by ss1 »

Yeah, well I didn’t see anything wrong with the workmanship as some people have had and the lock work is in perfect timing. So maybe (knock on wood) if I ever find a bunch of ammo, I’ll run it and see.
Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

ss1, Despite the negative video I also picked up a 4" new model last year.
Got it for a fairly reasonable price (a few hundred less than most were selling it for) on GB.
I haven't shot it yet, I haven't been to the range in over 2 years.
I've dry fired it a little bit, I'm not an expert but the trigger feels smoother than most revolvers I've owned.
Other than one very very tiny scratch near the screw above the trigger on the right hand side, the fit and finish is perfect.
I'm not thrilled with the quality of wood for the grips, I think Colt contracted Altamont to supply their Python grips but not certain, they claim the grips are walnut but look like laminate to me, I may be wrong.
ss1

Post by ss1 »

I 100% agree with you on the grips. It absolutely looks like a layered wood laminate. Searching for grips already but also seeing a lot of people pushing potential Thailand clones as original grips.
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

I picked up a 4" yesterday for $1499.
I figure that is the lowest price its EVER going to be.

Looked at a 3" they had in the shop also but it came with a premium on the price ($1999).

Its fit and finish is perfect (to me).
The grips look more like real walnut on mine.

The DA trigger pull is smooth and shorter than a S&W and came in at 8.7 lbs.
The SA pull is a little heavier than I prefer on a revolver at 4.7 lbs. I have a CZ SP01 that has a 2.5 lb SA pull....
Last edited by 45caldan on Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

VERY nice!
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.